Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE DONATE > Don't forget your generosity not only helps maintain YOUR MobiTog but, as a MobiSupporter, increases your MobiAlbums, THANK YOU!
  3. > iPhone X or iPhone 8 / 8 Plus < Got One Yet? Click & tell!
    Dismiss Notice

Time Stamp Results! TS95 2pm Saturday Sept-2

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by FundyBrian, 31 August 2017.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Join the elite Time Stamp team for Saturday, 2pm, adventures!
    Egad! it's September already!

Overview:

Participants are invited to make pictures for the Time Stamp project. There is no theme this round. Photograph whatever is happening, or make something happen. However, the catch is that your picture(s) must be made at 2:00pm, your local time, on Saturday afternoon. Post your pictures (up to 3) on this thread. Sit back and await fame and recognition, and maybe a spiffy new virtual award.

If you're new to the Time Stamp idea here's the overview: here at MobiTog we have participants all over the world, in many different time zones. What if everyone made a picture at 2pm on Saturday, of whatever is going on, wherever they happen to be, and share that picture on Time Stamp. We should end up with a global snapshot of what is going on everywhere at 2 pm. This could be ordinary, humorous, puzzling, but it is bound to be interesting. The Time Stamp title comes from the metadata that is added to every new photo at the time it is shot, the creation date and time.

Rules: Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE

• Standard Mobitog image rules apply. Images must be captured/created & edited entirely on a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet.

• All images must be photographed and edited between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, local time. Any editing must be done within that time frame. In other words, don't rely on extensive image manipulation or compositing. These things are allowed, but must be accomplished within the 20 minute window of opportunity. Better to concentrate on capturing a unique moment at 2pm.

Secret tip: This isn't strictly a photo contest. Good reportage or storytelling can get you lots of bonus points. Helping other people discover some place near you is another way to get bonus points. Make a connection.

• In addition to the regular (up to) 3 images, you are now allowed to post one additional image, if you want to, to help "set the scene". This image should be described as "to set the scene" or "setting the scene", or "the location" or something similar, to clearly identify it because it won't be counted as part of your submission of 3 photos.

• You are free to photograph something actually happening, or nothing happening, or make something happen, or to create your own image from scratch, as long as it and any added parts or layers are photographed within the 2:00 to 2:20pm window of opportunity.

NEW! Time Shift Exemption: This applies to special events happening 2 or 3 hours outside the usual Time Stamp window. If you think the event is significant enough and that others would like to see it you can claim the Time Shift Exemption and move your 2pm to fit the event. This is a test to see how it works.

Post your images to this thread.

Closing date: entries must be posted no later than 2pm the following day (Sunday). You can post your images right away after making them but if you happen to be in a situation where this is not possible, you have 24 hours.

• Have some creative fun!

Any questions? Let's try to get them sorted out before the big day.

• There will be an overview after each event to discuss any observations of things of special interest.

• AWARDS! There will be some new virtual awards spontaneously made up as the occasions arise. The award winner will gain the privilege of wearing (flaunting), for one week, the virtual hat/cape/glasses/etc. associated with that award. Topics might be photojournalism, humour, documentary, brilliant observation, street photography, decisive moment, that was unexpected!, quick thinking under duress, inspired making of instant art, doing the best you can in a boring situation, etc. I will present the awards but participants may nominate other participants for awards of merit and even invent new awards as they see fit.

• Imagine being able to wear the Glowing Crown of Omnipotence for a whole week, where your every opinion expressed must accepted and acknowledged as undeniable truth.

Time Stamp is hereby declared an acronym-free zone.

Tips on setting alarms: you can use the Calendar app to set 2 alerts. I like to set the first alert 1 hour ahead in case I have completely forgotten (where's my phone!)(my battery is dead). The second alert I set 15 minutes ahead so I can get ready. You can create a second event at the same time for more alerts! Maybe set your alarm clock to go off right at 2pm to make you jump. Set another alarm to let you know when your time is up.

If you would like to join in the fun, just post a message below saying "I'm in!"

Venomator, RoseCat and JillyG like this.
  2. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I'm in! Why not join in the fun.

GroovyGouvy, Venomator and JillyG like this.
  3. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Yes, I'm in.:thumbs:

GroovyGouvy, Venomator and FundyBrian like this.
  4. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
  5. MsDee

MsDee MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Dee
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I'm in!

GroovyGouvy, FundyBrian and Venomator like this.
  6. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
  7. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I'm in, I'm in, I'm.... tra-la-la.

Have my HK arty embroidery teacher/friend staying with me this weekend so I hope we are doing something special for 2pm.....Hmm...must go and switch my alarm back on.

8. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    IMG_0941.JPG
    Time Stamp is coming soon to a time zone near you. Remember to turn on your alarm.
    I prefer to set a weekly repeating alert in my calendar app. 15 minutes ahead of 2 and another right at 2.
    This rooster is just warming up to crow at 2pm. Let me know if you hear it.

Last edited: 2 September 2017
    tommy71k, ImageArt, RoseCat and 2 others like this.
  9. Starzee

Starzee MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Im in.

GroovyGouvy and FundyBrian like this.
  10. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    What does everyone think about getting last week's top favourite to do the awards the following week. They would be entirely free to do it as they wanted to without following any past format. We might discover new ideas along the way. I see potential entanglements coming up for me again this week and I don't like keeping people waiting too long for the results.

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  11. Starzee

Starzee MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I love your wrap ups! At the same time, I understand it is just too much for one person do it every week. I'm vote for sharing the burden, but I don't like it picking a "winner". How would we judge?

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  12. kennyh

kennyh MobiStar

Ken Hatfield
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    IMG_7231.jpg

This is where I was going to get a picture, but I was late, so this rather nice metal sign will have to do-on the info it says taken at 14.52,but it was taken at 2.00,then resizes in Big Photo to comply with upload reqs.I,ve just read the rules(!),and realise that a resize may be considered an edit and hence out of time(sic)-there was nothing else done to the picture from native cam-if it's too late I'll just sulk till next week.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 September 2017
    tommy71k, MsDee, Starzee and 5 others like this.
  13. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    No, don't sulk.:D I'm sure Brian will cut you some slack as you're a newbie to TS. :lol: Great image. The map looks like some sort of abstract George and the Dragon.

14. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Your message started me writing an epic that I had to delete. For a short message yours contains significant points that each would take a lot to explore.
    I would like to give more time to this than I have right now but here's a start.

Let's look at the origins of Time Stamp.
    Time Stamp started out as a way to bring people together who are otherwise very far apart. What could bring such a diverse group of people together better than to collaborate on a photo project? What could be the point of commonality among the group? Sharing a snapshot of your everyday life at some selected time of day. Whatever you happen to be doing, wherever you happen to be. What is happening around the world right now at some particular moment in time, a snapshot of the world, so to speak.
    After a while it seemed people needed a conclusion or wrap-up to the event and to add further interest by bring recognition to images that deserve a second look.
    Did you notice this? Or, look at that.
    How then to bring forth a selection of images without putting them in order? Just the way images are posted or the way a message can be written imposes an order. I can't equally post 3 images at once without some assumptions being made as to which is the first, second, and third choice. Beyond that some people like some competition to keep everyone striving to do better.
    It's a work in progress.

Another key element of Time Stamp is "Hey, Rockey, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat". (Bullwinkle)
    Photojournalists have to be able to act decisively, often with no advance warning, and come up with an interesting photo to describe a given situation. People who usually do landscape or general photography are more used to waiting for inspiration or luck to get them going. Having to create something interesting on demand when you have no idea in advance where you will be or what the subject matter will be is tremendously valuable to develop your creative ability to observe, plan, and act decisively. You quickly find out where your weak points are and learn to strengthen them.

Early on, the stories behind the images began to appear and this soon became as interesting as the photos. I've been making photos long enough that I don't need to ask "how did you do that?". However, something much more fascinating is "why did you do that?". The back story helps reveal the "why". The personal struggles, interests and reasons behind a certain type of personal expression became more evident. Now we're getting to something much more important than just photos, although photographs is the point of commonality.

You will notice I never say " and the winner is..." or " in first place we have..."
    I don't see Time Stamp as a typical photo contest. For one thing a regular photo contest just looks at each image in isolation and I reject that idea. Personally, I'm far more of a cooperator than a competitor. Although some people seem to thrive on competition and winning I believe competition is more destructive than beneficial.

Another question I see is: how do we become a photo judge? That will take another epistle to address.

tommy71k, Starzee, RoseCat and 3 others like this.
  15. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    At 2pm I'd just arrived home with my alarm going off. I'd been to the supermarket and had left an apple and cinnamon cake cooling.

IMG_7588.JPG
    Two slices out of it. :D

I'd also sewn a little bowl using water soluble membrane, some fabric scraps and my sewing machine - it had been drying in the airing cupboard. I will Modge Podge it to stiffen it.
    IMG_7594.JPG

Our dinner this evening, plus a glass of wine.

IMG_7595.JPG

tommy71k, MsDee, Starzee and 6 others like this.
  16. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Since last night I'm staying with my friends in Bad Marienberg in the Western Forest. Today we will have a BBQ in the evening with even more friends coming up. At 2.00 we started to prepare for later, but I took a break for some minutes to my shots.
    My friends have an adorable new family member since two weeks: two month old Neo

HipstamaticPhoto-526046395.391953.jpg

On the shelf outside is the cactus collection or better family my friend started with three tiny shrunk and dry cactuses back in 2003, here you see half her collection, the other four shelves are underneath and approx the same amount had already been given away.

HipstamaticPhoto-526046381.226102.jpg

The "fly in Diner" bird feeder in the garden.

HipstamaticPhoto-526046556.661050.jpg

The fire bowl we are hoping to use when the sun is down and hopefully having marshmallows on a stick along with some serious drinks.

HipstamaticPhoto-526048387.183319.jpg

But 2.18 heavily rain started to come down. That is the temporary "roof" over the barbecue in the picture. So we will definitely have or different meat and veggie stuff.

HipstamaticPhoto-526047523.669620.jpg

It's now 6.29 pm, just had time for the post and now we are getting ready to eat our goods. the rain stopped since an hour so we maybe light up the fire in the bowl later, too. Crossing fingers.

tommy71k, MsDee, Starzee and 5 others like this.
  17. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Wow, what a garden! That bird feeder is something else.

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  18. deepop

deepop No Mobi-limiter... MobiSupporter

David
    Device:
    iPhone 6
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I'm asking for a Time Shift Exemption, as my photos were taken around 11:15 this morning, watching a parade of 200 tractors going to the county fair, which is celebrating its 200th anniversary (boasting that it's the oldest county fair in the U.S.)
    It was a slow moving affair but it kept chugging along
    MaxCurve
    fullsizeoutput_48cb.jpeg
    PicsArt for the next 2
    1504373526667.jpeg
    1504373977706.jpeg

tommy71k, MsDee, Starzee and 8 others like this.
  19. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    What a fabulous procession of tractors! Amazing.

20. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    This is fantastic!!! I think my favorite of any you've ever made. :inlove:

Starzee, FundyBrian and GroovyGouvy like this.
  21. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Looking at the map, that looks like a great place to walk/bike! And the metal sign looks like it's quite beautifully detailed.

FundyBrian and GroovyGouvy like this.
  22. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    <looks at wristwatch> Ok, I'll be over for dinner in just a few, okay? :drool:

OMG that all looks so delicious. And your beautiful nest bowl is so creative! I just love it. :inlove:

I think this is maybe only the second time I've not participated in TS... :( Still at home and was not inspired by anything in my wee apartment - I think I've already photographed pretty much all there is to show. LOL

23. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Ooooo...sounds like a really fun day, and the perfect yard for a BBQ, despite the rain, but glad it stopped. That bird feeder sign is hilarious. And Neo is just way too cute. :D

24. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    HAHA!!! What a sight that must have been!! Just love it... and your fab tractor pics. :D :thumbs:

FundyBrian, deepop and GroovyGouvy like this.
  25. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Pretty nice sign.
    Don't worry about resizing in order to post. That won't count as an edit. Incidentally, when you post via the Mobi app it automatically resizes smaller so you don't have to do the resizing step manually.

GroovyGouvy and RoseCat like this.