Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. HUGE NEWS! Mobitog has hit 100,000 images! Read all about it here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE NOTE - The MobiApp has had to be removed from service - thanks GDPR! We sincerely apologise for having to take this step at short notice, but we have only just been made aware! Everyone should have received an e-mail detailing this earlier today with news about our Privacy Policy. Please try MobiTog.com via your Browser? You may be pleasantly surprised... > FULL NOTICE HERE <
    Dismiss Notice

Time Stamp Results! TS132 2pm Saturday May-19

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by FundyBrian, 18 May 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Join the elite Time Stamp team for Saturday, 2pm, adventures!

Let the bells ring out and the banners fly. It's too good to be true but Time Stamp is here!
    For your curiosity and edification - find out interesting stuff about places around the world.

Overview: Participants are invited to make pictures for the Time Stamp project. There is no theme this round. Photograph whatever is happening, or make something happen. However, the catch is that your picture(s) must be made at 2:00pm, your local time, on Saturday afternoon. Post your pictures (up to 3) on this thread. Sit back and await fame and recognition, and maybe a spiffy new virtual award.

If you're new to the Time Stamp idea here's the overview: here at MobiTog we have participants all over the world, in many different time zones. What if everyone made a picture at 2pm on Saturday, of whatever is going on, wherever they happen to be, and share that picture on Time Stamp. We should end up with a global snapshot of what is going on everywhere at 2 pm. This could be ordinary, humorous, puzzling, but it is bound to be interesting. The Time Stamp title comes from the metadata that is added to every new photo at the time it is shot, the creation date and time.

Rules: Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE

• Standard Mobitog image rules apply. Images must be captured/created & edited entirely on a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet.

• All images must be photographed and edited between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, local time. Any editing must be done within that time frame. In other words, don't rely on extensive image manipulation or compositing. These things are allowed, but must be accomplished within the 20 minute window of opportunity. Better to concentrate on capturing a unique moment at 2pm.

Secret tip: This isn't strictly a photo contest. Good reportage or storytelling can get you lots of bonus points. Helping other people discover some place near you is another way to get bonus points. Make a connection.

• In addition to the regular (up to) 3 images, you are now allowed to post one additional image, if you want to, to help "set the scene". This image should be described as "to set the scene" or "setting the scene", or "the location" or something similar, to clearly identify it because it won't be counted as part of your submission of 3 photos.

• You are free to photograph something actually happening, or nothing happening, or make something happen, or to create your own image from scratch, as long as it and any added parts or layers are photographed within the 2:00 to 2:20pm window of opportunity.

NEW! Time Shift Exemption: This applies to special events happening 2 or 3 hours outside the usual Time Stamp window. If you think the event is significant enough and that others would like to see it you can claim the Time Shift Exemption and move your 2pm to fit the event. This is a test to see how it works.

Post your images to this thread.

Closing date: entries must be posted no later than 2pm the following day (Sunday). You can post your images right away after making them but if you happen to be in a situation where this is not possible, you have 24 hours.

• Have some creative fun!

• There will be a brief Wrap-up, after each event to discuss any observations of things of special interest.

NEW: Each week the person making the next wrap-up will be selected by the current Grand Wrapper-Upper.

Time Stamp is hereby declared an acronym-free zone.

Tips on setting alarms: you can use the Calendar app to set 2 alerts. I like to set the first alert 1 hour ahead in case I have completely forgotten (where's my phone!)(my battery is dead). The second alert I set 15 minutes ahead so I can get ready. You can create a second event at the same time for more alerts! Maybe set your alarm clock to go off right at 2pm to make you jump. Set another alarm to let you know when your time is up.

If you would like to join in the fun, just post a message below saying "I'm in!"

Past Time Stamp favourites, selected by the Grand Wrapper-Upper that week, are on display at the Time Stamp Café Gallery. You can also see a virtual representation of the photos in the MobiTog gallery section. https://www.mobitog.com/gallery/albums/time-stamp-café-gallery.447/

GroovyGouvy, RoseCat and JillyG like this.
  2. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I'm in, somehow. I'm about maxed-out with frantic preparations for our opening weekend of the Fundy Studio Tour, starting Saturday!

3. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, I’m in.

FundyBrian, GroovyGouvy and WildPlace like this.
  4. Starzee

Starzee BIG Font Junkie... MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Hoping to be in!

5. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Oh wow!! Exciting! :D

FundyBrian, GroovyGouvy and JillyG like this.
  6. WildPlace

WildPlace MobiPassionista

Yvonne
    Device:
    iPhone X
    I should hopefully be in...

7. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy In My Bottom Phase...

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    In! Probably out but don't know where yet. [emoji4]

FundyBrian, JillyG and RoseCat like this.
  8. GroovyGouvy

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Wish I could come and join. Don't forget to come with it though Time Stamp Café, so we can see them all riding the studio train. Hope there will be some pictures here. [emoji106][emoji4]

FundyBrian, JillyG and RoseCat like this.
  9. GroovyGouvy

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes! We're all in the mood for an inspiring fresh beer! [emoji481][emoji106][emoji177]

10. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I have a meditation class at 2:00pm, so hopefully I can snap something right before... I’d better turn my alarm off though! :eek:

11. GroovyGouvy

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Set to afterwards or put the phone in position and let it take a picture every five minutes, call for Time Shift and post the best. [emoji4]

RoseCat, FundyBrian and JillyG like this.
  12. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I’m in! Probably on the golf course.

13. WildPlace

Yvonne
    Device:
    iPhone X
    Well alarm went off and all was quiet here at Callanish - though the car park is full so i guess it won’t remain quiet for long...

35DB5F8A-02AB-4E41-94DA-F94C72701274.jpeg
    Slopping around some paints in my journal - i’m putting it together with sketches and photos from over May, it will cover the month i’ve been here.

F307D1A8-C00D-434E-B354-BD62D1BEB541.jpeg
    The Callanish Stones Visitor Centre car park, full and a coach just pulled in - should have gone and grabbed my soy latte while i could!

963137A9-08AC-4DBC-8B2E-C150B3BE5C13.jpeg
    View from the small window - looking out to the wall with all the lichen i photographed last week

GroovyGouvy, ImageArt, deepop and 4 others like this.
  14. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Lovely. Looks like you’re going to be busy this afternoon. I love your little water colour. You’re so accomplished at lots of things.:thumbs:

15. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    At 2pm this was our view.

FF306E4B-F5FF-4C82-9226-A18A46EEB4FA.jpeg
    We were at Barnack Hills and Holes looking for orchids and Pasque flowers. I posted this place in Time Stamp last year, but this is the first time we’ve wandered around it. It’s such a glorious day today.

BF0CCD52-4F07-4F2B-9F13-3CF7301B0376.jpeg
    Here is a Pasque Flower. Unfortunately, we were just too late to see whole carpets of these beautiful flowers, but their seed heads are almost as lovely.

B6144861-245E-4EC5-9E71-440EEB27F952.jpeg

The Early Purple Orchids were just going over and we couldn’t see any Man Orchids or Pyramidal Orchids either - too early for those.
    3320F4B8-0E0D-42F3-9779-A7D64396CD3C.jpeg
    We had a picnic on a bench overlooking the first photo. The flower photos were taken at around 1.30pm.
    No edits.

16. WildPlace

Yvonne
    Device:
    iPhone X
    Oddly enough the watercolour looks better in the photo than it really is When i get back home i’m going to have lessons with Bill, my artist neighbour - I finally plucked up courage to ask him (it’s only taken me 8 years...).

17. WildPlace

Yvonne
    Device:
    iPhone X
    Looks like a lovely area for a wander around Jilly. i’ve never seen Pasque Flower - it looks so exotic in the book, bit of a shame you missed the carpets of them. Wow your orchids are big - i’m used to the tiny stunted things we have here...

18. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    The Scots do you mean?:lmao::lmao::lmao: Yes, as soon as we saw all the seed heads we realised that we’d missed the spectacle. :( They have fireflies here and on 27th June they’re doing a guided walk around the reserve, so we’re going to do that.

GroovyGouvy, RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  19. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve seen this effect, too, that artwork often looks better in pictures. This tells us something about the photographic process that what you see isn’t what you get but we hope that things look better rather than worse. It really depends on the contrast range and lighting conditions. Flat art looks, well, a bit flat compared to outdoor scenes. The camera livens it up a bit.
    Many years ago, when I first started doing my own ink jet photo printing, I read a manufacturer’s warning to be careful not to get the print wet. Aaaahhh, I thought. So after printing my first photos I got out some watercolour brushes and colours and first I just wet certain areas and carefully blended them a bit. Somewhat of a watercolour effect. Then I started adding watercolour washes and localized painting to the prints and had lots of fun. Just be careful not to get the paper too wet. It appears that in more recent printers wetting the print doesn’t have the same effect. The pigmented inks don’t flow the way a re-wet watercolour painting does. However, you can make prints specifically suitable for adding watercolour on top just by printing much lighter.

GroovyGouvy, Starzee, RoseCat and 2 others like this.
  20. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    It’s very exciting to be introduced to unfamiliar plants. A great field trip and very nice photos, too. Those are plants we don’t have here. In a way the Pasque flowers gone to seed are more interesting than the flowers. Your Early Purple Orchids look very much like Ragged Fringed Orchis that we have here. Actually, it used to grow in my yard before I did some ditching to divert excess water away.
    Is that Barnack Hills and Holes an old mining area?

21. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    You are obviously in a good location for visitors. Today is the opening day of our Studio Tour season and so far I haven’t had a single visitor. There’s no way a tour bus could get into my driveway.

22. JillyG

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, it’s an old limestone quarry - started by the Romans 1500 years ago, but by the 1500s all the useful stone had been removed. We saw a green hairstreak butterfly, which we’d never seen before. I was so busy admiring it that, by the time I pointed my phone at it, it had flown off! C’est la vie.:rolleyes:

23. WildPlace

Yvonne
    Device:
    iPhone X
    :lmao:

Sounds fab

GroovyGouvy and JillyG like this.
  24. WildPlace

Yvonne
    Device:
    iPhone X
    Good luck with your Studio Tour season - we used to have something similar in Uist called Art on the Map but no-one wanted to organise it last year or this year. The Callanish Centre is the most visited tourist attraction in the whole of the Outer Hebrides, so it’s a good place to be based for the month

25. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Opening day, Fundy Studio Tour.
    At two pm I was waiting for customers to appear.
    IMG_0128.JPG
    I chose this view from the stairs (made with the Moment wide angle lens) because I could also show our 2 kayaks hanging from the ceiling. It takes most people about 5 minutes to notice them. On display are an assortment of my framed photos and Fabi’s paintings and a selection of about 150 different photo notecards.
    Most people come from the Moncton end of the route so by the time they get here it’s around 3 pm.
    A little before 2 pm as I was getting ready to make some photos a customer arrived so I started about 10 minutes late.
    IMG_0135.JPG
    Hierochloe odorata - otherwise known as Sweetgrass grows wild in my yard in several places. I mostly find it by recognizing the flowering stalks. I can mark the locations at this time. Later, when the other grasses have come up it is much harder to spot. It does have a unique look once you become tuned in to it. Considered a sacred plant by aboriginal people, it is best known for its distinctive pleasant smell and is used in smudging ceremonies. If I mow an area that has some sweetgrass in it the sweet smell lets you know right away.