Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. A HUGE THANK YOU - to our generous MobiMembers who have recently donated to MobiTog to assist with the soaring monthly running costs! We cannot name names as some have requested anonymity, but we sincerely appreciate your generosity kindness... Love 'n hugs from us here at MobiTog... x x
  3. Calling all MobiMembers - Please consider a small contribution to our increasing monthly running costs via DONATE? However small, it will help us continue to maintain YOUR MobiTog Community, THANK YOU!

MRA2017 - MobiTog's Recommended Apps: Request for categories

Discussion in 'Apps Chat' started by richardcb, 7 February 2017.

1. richardcb

richardcb MobiStaff Site Staff

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Better late than never, it's nearly time for Mobifolk to vote for their essential apps of the past year - except that this time it's a little different. For it's 5th anniversary MobiTog's Essential Apps becomes MobiTog's Recommended Apps - MRA for short.

Rather than vote for apps you'd recommend to newbie mobile photographers this time we'll be asking you to vote for apps you'd recommended to anyone with an interest in smartphone photography. We think it'll give a better overall idea of what apps Mobipeople are using and like.

To this end we need your help. The voting categories have remained largely the same for five years. Do you think any need changing or deleting or even replacing with new ones that better reflect the current state of our shared passion? Here's a reminder of the categories as they were last year:

1. Alternative camera apps.
    2. Photo editing apps.
    3. Filter/effects apps.
    4. Mono effect apps.
    5. Image transfer apps (for moving pics between devices and computers).
    6. Photo social/sharing apps.
    7. Personal favourite apps of yours - any genre.

8. MobiTog App Hero - any photo app, any genre that you consider worthy of recognition over the past year.

Have your say below. Suggest changes or new categories you'd like to see added. Help MRA2017 become the new voice of MobiTog!

Venomator, sinnerjohn, MsDee and 4 others like this.
  2. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    A category for painting & drawing apps, maybe? Procreate, Sketch Club, Art Rage, and that sort of thing?

lisamjw, Venomator and RoseCat like this.
  3. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiFaerie... Site Staff

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    A category for creating text/labels on an image.

lisamjw and Venomator like this.
  4. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Interesting idea but would you consider these as photo apps?

RoseCat and Venomator like this.
  5. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    They do have uses in photo collage and photo-based creations, but no, I guess I don't think of them as photo apps (or their results as photos).

RoseCat likes this.
  6. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    There are lots of important photography apps that get buried under the sheer numbers of more obvious photo editing apps. Any of these groups below just disappear from view when lumped into the more general headings.

A category for all the photography-related apps that are not cameras or editors. These include some apps that go beyond mobile photography but are every bit as useful for mobile photographers. Such as, The Photographer's Ephemeris - for planning a photo outing, sunrise, sunset, positions & angles on maps. Super useful. Other apps such as sunrise/sunset planners, star guides for Astro photography, Aurora forecasting. PhotoScout. DarkSkyPreserve. Theodolite. Apps for recording site data. Several apps for photographic learning and calculating - depth of field, focus stacking, ND filter & long exposure calculators. Camera bag checklist. GPS tracking and mapping your excursions so you don't get lost in the woods (I sure use these!!). Pocket Earth, Gaia GPS. Clinometer and other camera level indicators. There are lots of apps in this category.

Apps for drawing and painting with actual hand work, not automated painting makers, have already been mentioned but deserve a special category. Many are often used in photo editing but really are a separate group. Plus the whole genre of apps that create a painterly look to photos. BeCasso. These don't belong in photo editors.

Apps for viewing and organizing photos, creating different types of albums, etc. Calibrated viewers. File managers.

Apps for viewing and editing EXIF metadata in photos.

Apps for resizing and watermarking photos. A unique category.

Video! Video cameras. Video editing apps. Including audio recording and editing for video. Video effects apps. Titling and intro creators. Soundtrack apps for video and slideshows. Extracting still frames from video. Maybe include all the slideshow makers here?

Live Photo is something completely new and independent from still photo editing. Motion GIF makers.

Specialized camera apps that don't make regular photos. Harris Shutter. Slit Scan and several other apps of that type. Rolling Shutter, 360 Panorama apps, Seene, VR Camera, 3D cameras, iLightning, KaleidaCam, Motion Shot, MSQRD.

Time-lapse is a big category, too, but can't easily be lumped into video.

Apps for printing.

Apps that technically are photo editors but not for any "normal" editing. Special effects, totally whacked out, image destroyers. Decim8, Colorburn, Glitché, Percolator, etc.

Apps for text on photos, titling, text effects.

Camera apps that offer live effects that can be previewed before shooting and not edited in afterwards. This really is a special group important to differentiate for many people.

B&W cameras and editors. A unique group that would certainly be lost among the others.

Apps that rely on on-line processing should be quarantined into a special group, or away from the others. In other words, photo editors that don't do the editing on your device or won't work if you are offline do not fit the MobiTog definition of mobile photography. If they do, then exporting to my computer for some work in Photomatix or Photoshop, then reimporting to my iPhone should be allowed, too. Same thing. Also in this group are the apps where you select editing options, such as portrait retouching, and send your photo off to an online editing service.

Apps used to connect your mobile device to an external photography device/lens/partial camera. This, too, gets into questionable territory with the official mobile photography definition.

Remote control photo apps. Huge.

Montage is really separate from photo editing. Perhaps it should be grouped with design and layout.

There should be a category for the genuine full-featured photo editing apps for more complex work with layers, burning & dodging, masking, blending modes, spot retouching, cloning. Leonardo, etc. Keep them well away from the wanna-be or pretend editors. Keep all those filter apps well away from real photo editors.

Any apps promoting monthly subscription fees should not be encouraged to spread this evil to other single fee apps. Quarantine!

There should be a distinction between apps where you edit with intention vs. the mystery tapper apps. With a real photo editor you decide, I want to adjust the xxx, and there's a control for that. With tapper apps there are lots of presets and you have no idea in advance what they do or what parameters will be adjusted. You just keep tapping until you see something you like. You don't learn anything about photo editing and you have no idea how the effect you just applied is made. This is anti-editing. This is dumbing down the photographic process. Editing roulette. Sometimes you get lucky, but overall you learn nothing. I feel this second category of editor undermines the development of editing knowledge and skill among photographers.

Certainly not all of these can be separate categories but some distinctions should be made within categories when there are obvious differences, such as on-line processing. Really, they should be excluded. It could be as simple as stating in the overview that apps not meeting the definition of mobile photography (done entirely on/within the mobile device) are not eligible.

Ryn S, deepop, RoseCat and 4 others like this.
  7. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks, Brian. A lot of food for thought, as usual. I'm digesting it as I write.

Many of the examples you give are valid but would make for a very long list of categories! I've always tried to keep this poll centred around the main areas of app activity I've noted in our forums over the years and as simple as possible to encourage members to vote. However, I'll definitely try to include some of your points.

One category you mentioned that I've always wondered about adding is video. To me this is an important feature of any smartphone's camera functions but I wonder how many Mobitoggers use it. Video is not a subject you see discussed here very often. I'd be more than happy to add it if enough people think it would be of interest. So come on, Mobifolk, how often do you use video on your devices?

8. Venomator

Venomator MobiAdmin Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    > Gimbal <... :whistle:

richardcb and JillyG like this.
  9. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    So that's one vote for a piece of video hardware? :confused:

JillyG and Venomator like this.
  10. Venomator

Venomator MobiAdmin Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Erm, if you read it, it may just give a clue as to how often this MobiFolk uses video on his device, which I believe was the question... :D

ImageArt, JillyG and richardcb like this.
  11. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I forget to make videos, but would like to do more. And I know ImageArt Ann has been honing her video skills.

12. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes, I like to dabble in it from time to time. I know this is heresy but I bought a GoPro camera last year. Really fun to shoot video on something smaller than an iPhone. :)

13. sinnerjohn

sinnerjohn MobiLurver

John
    Device:
    Samsung
    I think we have to decide if video is photography. I personally see photography as being still images, video something different. But as they are made by the same device there would be no reason not to have a video category imho.

richardcb, RoseCat and mwolfer like this.
  14. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Fair point, John but as photography is defined as (in a least one dictionary) "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy...' I guess video (or videography?) has a place in our activities. :)

15. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I certainly use my iPhone to shoot video. I even paid $39 for some better iPhone editing software. I use an add-on stereo microphone. I have several video apps from specialized video cameras, video editors, titling, soundtrack makers and editors, waveform editors, intro creators, video effects, loopers, slideshow to video makers, etc.

16. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    A lot of the photo apps seen as still photography are actually employing video functions to create the effects of motion because the iPhone lacks any true long shutter speed function. Most of the slow shutter and long exposure apps combine multiple video frames into still images. In this way more people are using video than they realize. Others like Action Camera shoot numerous high speed frames but with a little more space between them. This is just video with fast shutter and slightly slower frame rate. Live Photos combines a still photo with video frames. Animation and motion gif apps are forms of video.

ubbyisis and richardcb like this.
  17. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I always find this type of list frustrating to participate in because I am constantly seeing apps I use often being unrepresented by a category and they get buried in the general categories. It makes it appear as if they don't exist.
    I guess there are some users whose use of photography apps can be fairly narrowly defined while others cover a much wider range of categories.
    I took to mobile photography not because I don't have any other cameras, but because I saw iPhone photography as an emerging field within photography and I wanted to see just how far I could go with such a basic camera. It is very much like in the film days, even though we had expensive cameras we experimented with the plastic Diana camera, or DIY pinhole cameras, or antique cameras, looking for something different and maybe unique. My use of the iPhone is very experimental. I'm always trying things at the edges of its capability rather than sticking to the centre. The routine picture taking functions of the iPhone are fairly ordinary but the fringe capabilities are enormous. This is why by sticking to the basic photography categories the more extraordinary things are hidden so that outside observers would not realize the enormous range of possibilities presented by this seemingly simple device.

18. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks, as always, for your reasoned thoughts, Brian, but I think that in this instance you're missing the point slightly. The Essential Apps list (now Recommended Apps) was originally designed to help newcomers to MobiTog quickly find some of the finest apps to get them started in their new endeavour. It helped answer the perennial question, "what apps should I use on my [insert smartphone here]?".

It was never intended to be a lost of the 'best apps' available, just those that the more experienced MobiTog members had found useful during the previous year and wanted to recommend to others. Seeking out and experimenting with other apps is positively encouraged and the reason I instigated the popular Newappwatch and Bargainwatch threads in this forum. Through these everyone can learn about new apps they can play with throughout the year.

So, as one of MobiTog's most experienced members, I'm sure you would like to help us pass on knowledge to those just starting on the path to insanity...er...creative freedom. ;)

ImageArt, FundyBrian, lisamjw and 3 others like this.
  19. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I realize what you're doing is a daunting task and I certainly understand it doesn't need to get too complicated. On one hand one wouldn't want to overwhelm new users with too much. On the other hand, helping them realize the tremendous scope of possibilities presented by one little phone right up front would help them realize that no matter what their interest, there's an app for that. I find too often that new people have delayed development with the iPhone because they have no way to guess at what's out there just by looking at the very ordinary things on a new iPhone and they can't easily get excited with the basic stuff.

richardcb likes this.
  20. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    I'd certainly welcome a video category or three (cameras, editors, effects).

ImageArt, Ryn S, RoseCat and 2 others like this.
  21. Starzee

Starzee MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Did anyone suggest apps for adding text? Like Over? (She asks meekly)

22. sinnerjohn

sinnerjohn MobiLurver

John
    Device:
    Samsung
    How about apps not on a device made by Apple ;)

ImageArt, JillyG, Ryn S and 2 others like this.
  23. Ryn S

Ryn S MobiPassionista MobiSupporter

Ryn S
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Wow you guys!!! I have ditched all my other cameras because the one that is always there when my grandkids do something adorable is my iPhone. No special thought or planning needed on my part, just grab and shoot. "The best camera is the one that's with you." I don't know who to attribute that to, but it's my truth. My iPhone is always close to my hand no matter what happens I can grab the shot and not carry anything extra with me. I am sooooo new to the field of using it to create really fine photos, which is why I joined this group. You all are my mentors and I have already downloaded probably 30 or more apps based on what you say you are using for any particular image. I am so thankful this group exists and I have to say that in my mind, you all are the creative spirit that will drive cell phone cameras to become the best camera on the planet. Maybe not the best for particular purposes, but certainly the best for capturing everyday photos and making them works of art. I, personally, consider videography a separate entity but am fully in favor of including it here, I'd like to see it separated simply to make info easier to find. But hey, I'm the newbie and I am so in awe of all of you and so thankful you allowed me in to the group I am happy to go with whatever you all decide.

Last edited: 17 February 2017
    ImageArt, rizole, FundyBrian and 4 others like this.
  24. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    So happy this place can thrill and inspire you, and even happier that you're a part of this MobiFamily.

And welcome to The AppWhore Club. <wicked grin>

Starzee, JillyG and Ryn S like this.
  25. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    I think RoseCat mentioned that back near the top. ("Meekly"? Who are you and what have you done with Star? :lmao:)

ImageArt, Starzee, ubbyisis and 3 others like this.