Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. A HUGE THANK YOU - to our generous MobiMembers who have recently donated to MobiTog to assist with the soaring monthly running costs! We cannot name names as some have requested anonymity, but we sincerely appreciate your generosity kindness... Love 'n hugs from us here at MobiTog... x x
  3. Calling all MobiMembers - Please consider a small contribution to our increasing monthly running costs via DONATE? However small, it will help us continue to maintain YOUR MobiTog Community, THANK YOU!

Critique these...

Discussion in 'Critique Corner' started by chimera, 19 March 2017.

1. chimera

chimera MobiStar

I've been eyeing this thread from the very beginning, because what I'm interested in most, is feedback, suggestions and your opinions. I want the good, the bad and the ugly. So for a first post in this category...

These were all taken on iPhones, 5 and 6. Incidentally they were runner up choices for an upcoming Edit This. These are unedited unless otherwise noted.

This is a picture of some possums I was caring for after their mother had died, but that's a story for another time. It's feeding time in this photo and we'd taken them up in the tree house for some fresh air.

IMG_6246.JPG

This photo was taken at early morning just prior to putting kayaks in the water for a 13 mile trip down river.

IMG_5438.JPG

A staged photo of me and my daughter walking down a road. I used it for a meme, I'll post it below if I can find it.

IMG_7142.JPG
    IMG_7444.JPG

Times Square, New York City.

IMG_0293.JPG

West End Girl, Kmenglee and JillyG like this.
  2. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Ok, this is purely a subjective view. I can't pretend to be an expert in photography so it is entirely my viewpoint.

Picture 1
    I love this picture and the way that the possum on the right is staring right into the camera. I was attracted to it totally from the thumbnails. I think the colouring is good and the fact that the focus is on the middle possum, but my eyes are drawn upwards to the plastic container and if it was me I would crop it on the left to stop at the last possum. The height I would keep. Then my eye would rest on the last possum and not the container.

Picture 2
    This second photo is an interesting photo and very dramatic. It doesn't seem quite right to me but darn it if I know how to improve it. The sky is a bit too white and in too much contrast with the rest and I feel like the dam is just too much in the middle but when I tried to think of ways of cropping it, I couldn't find anything better. Maybe if you had taken this photo first thing in the morning or at the golden hour in the evening it would have been perfect. I am interested to know what others think.

Picture 3
    It was interesting for me to see how the words made all the difference to this photo. It really added value to the photo and was clever and a great crop! However, I find the posture of the man distracting. I would either like to see the two people walking together hand-in-hand or doing some sort of meaningful action. It is not clear that he is taking a photo if that is what he is doing. What are you saying does matter?

Picture 4
    So much action but no point of focus. Nothing to draw my eye. I find the black cross in the front distracting. This is always a difficult shot to make into something. The number of times I have been in a similar position where it's a fascinating place and just magical but when I look through my camera, it doesn't look special. I would have tried to find a different angle. I am sure you were probably not able to get higher but a shot from higher up would have been better or maybe a really low one looking up. This is where I personally feel I don't take good shots so I am not the one to give advise on this.

Very interesting photographs and it really made me think. I shall be fascinated to hear what others say. Good thread!

Kmenglee, chimera and JillyG like this.
  3. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Photo #1 -- I don't normally find possums cute, even though I think hamsters and rats are adorable, but these guys are definitely cute. For me, the problem here is that the face of possum #1 is out of focus, even though his/her toes are in focus, and since this possum is the closest and is looking straight at me, it's getting most of my attention. You can't sharpen away this blur, so my (desperation) choice would be to emphasize it by cropping in even tighter, as if possum #1 is about to stick its nose in the lens. I'd leave the right side alone but crop in from the left and up from the bottom (to the toes of the right forepaw).

Like so:

IMG_4908.JPG

And if I wanted to go further, I'd try a little Enlight Refit trickery to move possum #3 closer to possum #2.

4. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Photo #4 -- I agree with ImageArt: The black sign or cross or whatever it is at the bottom left third is distracting (i.e., it draws my eye when it shouldn't) and (just as important) breaks the flow of the line of car lights. I think the natural focus of this photo is the tallest tower of lights at the end of the street -- that's where the perspective leads me -- but it doesn't stand out quite enough. I'd want to try to amp up those lights, plus the lights of the line of cars and possibly fade the other lights a bit. That said, I enjoy the photo as is, even though the black thingie is distracting.

5. chimera

chimera MobiStar

Thank you very much. I absolutely appreciate each of you taking the time to comment. Excellent points made by each of you. The baby possums were back on the iPhone 5 and at the time, mobile photography wasn't even in my mind. However, having two young kids, I'm always taking photos and this was a fun moment. The New York photo, yeah it's s tough one. ImageArt, great feedback on every image. You certainly sound like a pro. thanks again.

Kmenglee, RoseCat and lisamjw like this.
  6. Ryn S

Ryn S MobiPassionista MobiSupporter

Ryn S
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I am probably newer than you to mobile photography, but I've been an artist for 40+ years...so based on light/shadow, image/drama/balance I'll give you my thoughts.
    #1- that plastic in the back really bothers me, and you could crop the third little fella and move him closer or just get rid of him entirely. I hope I'm not overstepping here, but a simple crop, I think, saves it totally. It makes me want to know more of the story.
    Sorry, I wasn't supposed to do the pic here.
    #2- Even tho' this image isn't centered, it feels centered, I think maybe if you cropped the top off to the base of that big tower on the left, you will lose almost all of that white sky, you will keep that glorious light on the stone walls, and you will throw the visual balance into a nicer pose. I keep envisioning a couple of Mextures filters that would add just a little d AMA via tints.
    #3-I generally like it before the meme, and again, a slight Mextures coloration could give the viewer a better idea of what's going on just with gentle color hints. With the meme words, I really like it just as it is.
    #4-I get the energy from that image, but the white on the left bothers me, so with a slight crop, I think it's more pleasingly balanced. So.... feel free to take my suggestions and make the, your own, or toss them in the trash. I do not ever "take" offense :)

RoseCat and Kmenglee like this.