Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. > iPhone X or iPhone 8 / 8 Plus < Got One Yet? Click & tell!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. NEW MobiTog HELP PAGES HERE! < Courtesy of Ted (@terse), THANKS Ted!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Know? Tech help.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by FundyBrian, 8 October 2017.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I have 2 photos in my iPhone 7 Plus camera roll that must be damaged or corrupted. They can’t be imported and I can’t see them in my camera roll. I can see the pictures on either side.
    Photos (on Mac) shows them as grey squares.
    Image Capture shows 2 generic jpeg icons.
    Neither app can import them.
    Anybody know how I can delete them?

ImageArt likes this.
  2. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Weird, I’ve never seen anything like that. Are you able to view the Exif by using an ExifViewer within the camera roll?

FundyBrian likes this.
  3. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Nothing quite like that, no. I've had some HDR DNGs exported from Lightroom Mobile appear solid black (in thumbnails and when trying to edit), but I didn't have any trouble deleting them from the Camera Roll (or from Photos on my Mac after importing with Image Capture).

The HDR DNGs from Lightroom Mobile also cause Snapseed to crash. I don't know which side the fault is on there.

FundyBrian likes this.
  4. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    No, you have to select the image to see the Exif data and I can’t select an image I can’t see. However, in Image Capture it shows the position of the photos on the list of images and the pixel dimensions and the memory space used. The info is pretty much the same as the adjacent images.

5. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    My Lightroom importing isn’t working properly either. It happened once before when I had a corrupted image. I solved that by deleting all the photos in my camera roll.

6. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Can you delete from your iPhone using Image Capture then? Control-click on the image position?

FundyBrian likes this.
  7. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, it turns out you can do that. However, the two images no longer appear in the list in either the Photos app on Mac or Image Capture. Perhaps the system got rid of them?

RoseCat likes this.
  8. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Oh, terrific. I can just hear you trying to explain to tech support that some images you can't see have disappeared.

And none of the apps involved have thrown up an error message at any time? That's peculiar, too.

zenjenny, FundyBrian and RoseCat like this.
  9. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, the first time I tried to import them in Photos and Image Capture I got an error message saying the 2 Photos could not be imported, Photos said IMG_5684 (Null) and IMG_5678 (Null) and Image Capture said something about a camera core error. (I had already deleted several photos before importing)
    When I tried again to import I could see the 2 bad frames, marked as grey squares in Photos and as 2 generic jpeg icons in Image Capture, as the only remaining un-imported photos.
    Later when I went back to try the same thing over I couldn’t see any trace of them so I’m hoping the system got rid of them somehow. I had also done a restart in between. The same 2 photos that were adjacent are now butted together with the error file names missing.
    It is too bad I didn’t realize Image Capture could delete them the first time around.
    I’ll see what, if anything, happens. I’ve been gradually deleting photos from my camera roll. I’m down from over 4300 to around 525. I might as well clean out completely and start over.
    I wonder if any of the photos in the folder From my Mac can cause any problems.

Incidentally, I initially had 4 bad image files. The first two were close up videos of a spider walking along a gravel road - they gave the error message Unknown video format - which happened to be .mov. They came out as vertical video. You know how when you point your camera mostly straight down it often gets confused about which way is Up. With those 2 I used the RotateVideo app to turn them right way around and re-saved them. The new versions imported ok and I deleted the originals. I can’t remember which camera app I was using but the still photos I made of the same spider were Camera+ in macro mode so it might have been the same app.

Last edited: 9 October 2017
    terse likes this.
  10. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I started deleting all images on my camera roll starting with oldest first. When I got down to 298 images Lightroom importing worked normally again. It had been acting beyond weird. Using up all the RAM and wanting to use 70GB of RAM until I got a message saying it was out of RAM and stopped running.
    I could tell the problem was in my iPhone because importing photos from any of my other cameras still worked normally.
    It is a relief to have it working again. I was importing via Photos app for Mac and then importing to Lightroom from there. Tedious. The good thing about backing up to Photos for Mac is that it appears to be the only way Live Photos are backed up correctly. Lightroom backups of Live Photos is a mess.

Last edited: 10 October 2017
  11. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Terse, I very much appreciate your thinking and suggestions while I was working on this problem. It really helps when you don’t have to feel all alone to solve a problem. A second brain will undoubtedly think along different paths towards the solution.

lisamjw and RoseCat like this.
  12. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    It does help, doesn't it? And even a wrong answer can sometimes put you on the right track. Happy to help when I don't have to do the actual work. :)

FundyBrian and lisamjw like this.