Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Wondering how to insert full size images into your posts? Check out our full How Do I... guide, which also contains How Do I... insert from Flickr? Click Here

Tripod Recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by Veevs, 15 May 2012.

1. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Am after a new tripod. I have a real old one which is heavy and clunky - also have the gorillapod tripod for DSLRs. Wondering what you guys use as tripods for your iphones?

Black bulb studio likes this.
  2. Chris / interealtime

Chris / interealtime The NightCapper... App Developer

Chris
    I reckon the best solution is an iPhone to tripod adaptor - then take your pick of a million or so general photography tripods. On the tripod side, I have something like the "gorilla pod" flexible tripods (the ones with legs you can wrap around things). I find that pretty good - as a tripod, it's short and not super stable, but acceptable if you can find something to put it on, but the big advantage is that you can wrap it round stuff. I've often simple wrapped it round a sign post or something to get a good shot in a tricky place.

For the iPhone to tripod adaptor, I recommend avoiding anything designed for the iPhone. Problem is, when you next update your phone it might be a slightly different shape, and you end up with an expensive paperweight. You can get some that are designed for a range of phones. Personally I got a little clip thing - basically just a big clip, with a tripod adaptor on the bottom. Not sure what it's actually called, but I picked it up from a photography shop - it seemed to be a pretty common accessory for pro photographers. That holds my phone, with or without the case, very sturdily.

I think my total spend for the adaptor + tripod was something like £10 :)
  3. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Thanks Chris, I have the gorilla pod and also the adaptor (the Glif). Just need to get myself organised and use them. Was just wondering for recommendations of a good light tripod?
  4. AMMullan

AMMullan Addicted

Allan
    I wouldn't trust it - I HAD one similar until my iPhone slipped out of it on Thursday and went for a swim in a creek for 20 seconds :( Quite luckily, the phone is actually ok but damn I will only ever trust a Glif mounted iPhone from now on!

In terms of Tripods, I've got a travel one for a DSLR that I use often (with the phone mounted on top of the DSLR too sometimes, cool trick!) and also have a Gorillapod, both work quite well.
  5. robertk328

robertk328 Addicted

robert
    I ordered the iStabilizer and the magnetic Gorillapod.... should be here Monday. I echo what Chris said which is why I chose the iStabilizer -- don't get something specific for the current phone because you'll want to get the most use out of it :)
    Black bulb studio likes this.
  6. AMMullan

AMMullan Addicted

Allan
    Just test the iStabilizer with whatever case you use in portrait mode, mine slid out really easy with the mophie juice pack!
  7. robertk328

robertk328 Addicted

robert
    Will do. I go naked :) I see it mostly for landscape but will watch in portrait. Thanks!
  8. dcmacnut

dcmacnut KOTI The Bestower...

Chris VandeVenter
    I use the iTrek mount. It's a small alluminum screw mount. It actually works pretty good. Since I rarely have my iPhone out of its case when shooting, it is very quick and easy and holds tight. I agree I'd probably be leery near a creek, though. I also have the clip/clamp mount that came with my PhotoJojo telephoto lens as well as a custom mount I made out of a block of scrap wood I had lying around. I just routered a groove in the top and added a 1/4-20 coupling nut in the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/F-L-Smartphone-Adapter-Motorola-Smartphones/dp/B005LY553M
    lamkentucky likes this.
  9. ausphotoguy

ausphotoguy New Member

10. carlos

carlos Wheeee....

Carlos Austin
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Vivi....did you find a tripod?
    Veevs likes this.
  11. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

I bought a very cheap small one in Amazon, haven't tried it yet! When I do will let you know if it was worth all of £7 lol!!
  12. carlos

carlos Wheeee....

Carlos Austin
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    For light tripods, never turn your back on them especially if the wind is gusty. Although the iPhone is not heavy like a DSLR, it could be a nasty day if the tripod falls over with your iPhone. Hope this helps.
    RoseCat and Veevs like this.
  13. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Yes thanks for the info. I will be using it just for my iPhone :)
  14. Black bulb studio

Black bulb studio Addicted

Brett
    Thanks for the thread ... I'm also looking into such.
  15. sdgareth

sdgareth Mere nano mortal... Site Staff

Gareth Evans
    I use a manfrotto monopod, light, compact and given the option, yes I would go for a monopod again.
    There are models which come with tripod "feet" which are hidden in the bottom
    lamkentucky likes this.
  16. JasperParsons

JasperParsons New Member

Jime larger
    A bit different from what others posted, but i use a Trident Kraken case and have found a small "tripod" adapter for it which allows me to mount it to my existing tripod, works pretty awesome, don't really use it that much though!
  17. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Hey Jasper and a very warm welcome to the Mobile Photography Community that is MobiTog, it is great to have you join us... ;)

I had not heard of the Kraken - it looks like a toughie though... :D

Please do head over to the Welcome Section to introduce yourself and tell us a bit more about your work, and then don't hesitate to join in wherever your fancy takes you, everyone will make you very welcome... :rog:
  18. carlos

carlos Wheeee....

Carlos Austin
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Interesting southern california solution for heavy duty iphone and ipad protection. Never heard of them until Jasper mentioned them. Here's their site.
    http://www.tridentcase.com/
    carlos
    Venomator likes this.
  19. Venomator

Rog...
    Hi and a very warm welcome to the iPhoneography Community that is MobiTog, it is great to have you join us from Aus... ;)

Yes, a very interesting looking KickStarter Project that exceeded its Goal in pledges and mine was one of them, rude not to support efforts to improve the iPhone's accessories when they look this cool... :D

So, why not hop on over to our Welcome Section and introduce yourself properly and then get stuck in to all that MobiTog has to offer... :rog:
  20. sdgareth

sdgareth Mere nano mortal... Site Staff

Gareth Evans
    Thanks for the headsup on kickstarter, heard of it but never bothered to take a look.
    Very very interesting concept
  21. Venomator

Rog...
    There have been a few intriguing KS projects recently Gareth... ;)

We do try and report on them, usually while they are still 'live' in our Accessories Section... :D