Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We would like to thank all MobiMembers who have supported MobiTog with their generous Donations! You are keeping MobiTog, your Community, among the very best on the Planet, THANK YOU ALL! You may still contribute using the DONATE button on the HOME page, thank you!

Technical analysis: 645 PRO vs. Standard Camera App

Discussion in 'App Reviews' started by cpoole, 4 May 2012.

1. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    I'm guessing we have the same App Store Vix... ;)

Just look for 645 and Bob's your jolly old... :D

From MiPad2 using the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

2. Delta

Delta Pretty poisonous... MobiSupporter

Delta
    I know..so does mine but I downloaded the app anyway..curiosity,cat, etc...the pictures that Chris put up on page 1 helps..I did take a couple of pics with it..but still apped them in other stuff ( see 366) . I dunno - it's something to work with for sure..:feet:... here's to hurty-head !!!

Veevs, richardcb, RoseCat and 2 others like this.
  3. vixenscry

vixenscry Queen of Mono... Site Staff

Victoria Martin
    Nope , popped it in gave me a load of Japanese stuff lol !

4. Teirrahk

Teirrahk Addicted

Wow! Thank you for this review. I was on the fence about 645 Pro, but the information you provided was very helpful.

5. vixenscry

Victoria Martin
    Still no luck ! Give up ! Will look on laptop tomorrow :D

6. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Actually, a TIFF file can be used for any subject and for any purpose that you choose. Its major benefit in comparison to a JPG file is that it is less processed (cleaner). In the case of 645 PRO, it does not involve any JPEG compression or other algorithms that are decided for you by the camera and the software. The best way I note to describe this is that it causes a blotchy-ness in the image. If you don't blow any image up to a larger size, you may never see this effect manifest. but if you do, you will and it degrades image quality. So, what this means is that you could take a TIFF file into Photoshop or Lightroom and do your own post-processing with a cleaner image to start with (and that means you leave the iPhone as you processing medium and are now doing it on your computer. Those who are going to apply all sorts of filters and other processing media to an original image won't care about this benefit. That is a personal preference matter and it's totally OK. If all iPhoneographers around the world were more interested in the benefits of a TIFF file, Instagram would never have become a success. But if you shoot landscapes like myself and are after maximum detail, resolution, and nuances of light, then a TIFF file can be a great benefit. I am after the cleanest possible image that I can get my hands on.

One interesting point is that 645 PRO does provide what they describe as a "lossless" JPEG image (the 3-bar option). In 98% of all cases (my guesstimated assessment... ), this will almost accomplish the same benefit as a TIFF file and is more convenient for most iPhoneographers. It can be processed in the various apps that are designed for the iPhone and does not require exporting a file into a computer within Photoshop or Lightroom.

Hopefully, I am not causing further confusion by discussions like this. If a discussion of file types would be beneficial, we can do that but I would like to hear from a sampling of the members on this because this would take us slightly out of the boundaries of iPhone-only territory.

7. Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis Addicted Mobi Veteran

A huge thanks for your very informative review and ongoing feedback. I will definitely be using this app now as I can really see the benefits.

8. richardcb

richardcb All Bronzed up! Site Staff

Richard
    It's definitely there, vixen. Type in '645 pro' and, as Venomator says, Robert is your proverbial parent's sibling. :D Unless, of course, you're using an App Store in an alternative world to our own... (must stop watching 'Fringe'!). :confused:

9. domtronix

domtronix Addicted

Dom
    I can't find it either Vix - typing both 645 and 645 Pro and marvel comics appears?????

vixenscry likes this.
  10. vixenscry

Victoria Martin
    Yep , comics and japanese stuff ! Off to the laptop !

11. Venomator

Rog...
    And this is when searching with the iPhone Dom... :eek:

That's just weird cos it comes out top of my search list just by searching for '645'... :D

12. Venomator

Rog...
    Try searching Safari on your iPhone for www.jagr.gr and clicking on their App Store link at the bottom of the 645 App page... :D

13. vixenscry

Victoria Martin
    Weird cannot locate it ! Dom and me !

14. klassklown0

klassklown0 Addicted

I typed in 645. Here are the results

image-2887329769.png

image-2764894848.png

15. FrankHoekzema

FrankHoekzema Addicted

Frank Hoekzema
    Just go into the charts and look in the photography category. It's one of the top 10 apps wherever you are.

16. vixenscry

Victoria Martin
    Found it on my laptop , can't get it on my iPod it's only for iPhone ! Will check it out when I get my new phone :D. Couldn't find it thru my iPod iTunes ! And I still don't have ios5 ! It must be an outdated browser thing ! I posted earlier must have put my response on the wrong thread lol !

RoseCat, klassklown0 and Venomator like this.
  17. Venomator

Rog...
    So I guess, as it's now Saturday, you'll be out and about in Hereford iPhone 4S shopping and/or iPhoneography iMage taking... :D

RoseCat and klassklown0 like this.
  18. vixenscry

Victoria Martin
    Nope no one to chauffeur me fractured a bone in my foot lol ! Sat on sofa being waited on by my minions :D

RoseCat and lisamjw like this.
  19. vixenscry

Victoria Martin
    It's a shame this app dosnt work for iPod ! iPod images could definitely benefit from this app !

RoseCat and MsDee like this.
  20. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Richard, sorry I have not responded to this before now. This is a great point and my goodness..., I did not know things had come to that point in the UK, but I can understand how it could have. We are not seeing this over here yet.... and I'll leave it at that. And you are right in that we could engage a hugely political discussion on all of this. Strange times for sure.

I grew up in times where no one had to lock their doors and there was harmony in most communities. Certain standards were accepted and there was a clear majority connected to those standards. It is much different today. We are fortunate to live in a community where things are more like they were years ago and I am thankful for that, but things are changing in the U.S. also. And some of the changes are not good at all. So far, I have not been hasseled for shooting photos in our region with my DSLR but that is because I am typically on top of one mountain shooting across the expanse and with no one around. (Example attached and this is not an iPhone photo...)

Attached Files:

Reed, domtronix and klassklown0 like this.
  21. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Just a thought but the issue might be that on the iPad 3's, the camera is the same as the iPhone 4 at 5MP. The 4S is 8MP. I suspect the app developer will be dealing with this soon... IMO. :)

22. klassklown0

klassklown0 Addicted

Beautiful scene Chris

23. domtronix

domtronix Addicted

Dom
    It must be to do with the iPad - I was searching on it (3) and no go. Did a search on the phone and Robert was indeed your father's sibling.

Venomator likes this.
  24. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    So I just found this thread. Where have I been? Lol. This was an awesome read! I've been shooting almost primarily with 645 since I dl it. It's detail is remarkable. I'm using an I4 and it helps close the gap that I see between my shots and 4s shots. If I'm wanting to do any straight shooting, this is my fall to app of choice now. It delivers the cleanest sunset photos I've ever taken with less sun flare, more sun structure. Breathtaking detail.

For those that might be worried about its difficulty level, I'm a learn as you go type of user. I use 645 as a straight shooter. I change up the image size and film (b&w) here and there to suite the subject. Eventually, I'll dive into the behind the scenes. But for now, I'm enjoying just shooting with it and it's results. This is most definantly an app I'm adding to my most recommended, that every Iphoneographer should have on their phone.

25. klassklown0

klassklown0 Addicted

thank you Valerie. Ive been trying it out. It def is crisper