Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. MobiMono IS BACK... Hold onto your Blacks & Whites!

Vote Should I bother with Hipstamatic?

Discussion in 'Apps Discussion' started by GarethC, 21 January 2013.

?

Hipstamatic - For or Against?

1. For...

100.0%
  2. Against...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GarethC

GarethC Addicted

Gareth
    Let me just say that I have a slew of apps, I probably use about 12 of them though. I should also say that I like what I see from Hipstamatic but not sure about committing to their world :)

My biggest issue is that I like post processing and am not always sure that I want to commit to a film and lens when take the shot and it seems that Hipstamatic lets you take the photo in their app but that's how it saves it?

That said, the images out of Hipstamatic seem to render very nicely.

Thoughts? For? Against?

2. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Ohhh definitely for! If you like processing you can process your Hipsta shots! I am totally guilty of that lol, most of my Hipsta shots are turned around to look totally different from the original!

Also you can save your different combos as Favorites and take the shot with several combinations. That's what I usually do too, then I have a good selection to choose from :D

3. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    Oh, I would have to say a resounding YES!!!!

All Hipstamatic photos are saved in the app, but you can easily download them to your Camera Roll either by (1) tapping on the photo, then tapping on the "square+gear" icon in the upper left, then tapping on the "arrow-in-square" icon in the bottom right, OR (2) going into the Hipstamatic camera roll inside the app, tapping on the upper right icon (arrow in square), tapping on all the photos you want to save (it will show a check mark as you tap), then tapping on "Tools" at the bottom, and selecting Save to Photo Library.

There are films like Blanko, DC and Pistil, and lenses such as Foxy and Jane, that create minimal effects so that you can app away to your heart's content in other apps. And even a Hipsta shot that uses a combo with lots of effects can be apped beautifully.

I say give it a go for a bit and see what you think... :thumbs: You might find you get just as addicted as a lot of us are, once we started using it regularly and getting to know the combos. :sneaky:

lookingGlass79, lisamjw and DanaB like this.
  4. Robert Lancaster

Robert Lancaster Searching for Groovy! Site Staff

Robert Lancaster
    A big huge resounding YES!!! :)

lookingGlass79, DanaB and RoseCat like this.
  5. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Another emphatic FOR... :D

There is no question in my mind - Hipstamatic is a must have app... :rog:

AND, if you really want/need to post process Hipstamatic iMages lend themselves to such activities as well as any other... :)

By the way, I have added a Poll for you, just to get a visual handle on the somewhat inevitable results... :D

6. CynWes

CynWes Addicted

Cyndi Westover
    I'm completely for Hipstamatic. Yes, the pictures are saved with their lens and film combo, but that has not stopped me from post processing. Also, there are so very many combinations that it is sometimes amazing (and overwhelming). Hipsta is how I got my start and I'll remain committed to using it over and over again. With the flashes, film, and lens choices, I never get bored!

lookingGlass79 and DanaB like this.
  7. DanaB

DanaB Addicted

My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    As a Hipstamatic newbie, I'm chiming in my resounding YES! Addiction took no time at all lol ;)

Venomator likes this.
  8. Delta

Delta Pretty poisonous... MobiSupporter

Delta
    I don't use Hipsta a lot , but I have it with all the bells and whistles so when I want to use it I have it...the application is priceless and must have in your appsenal. :)

Venomator likes this.
  9. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Although I don't use Hipsta all the time, when I do use it, I love it!! You definitely should consider purchasing it.

Venomator likes this.
  10. bahandi

bahandi New Member

Bahandi
    Think of it this way, I'm offering you a digital slr or a film slr, which one would you choose?

The debate isn't so much about "film" vs "digital", as much as it is, "which works better for me?"

Hipstamatic is an excellent app. Just like a film camera, you won't see the results right away. You'll learn to love certain characteristics of the lens or film stock you're using. You'll learn to know when a particular combo works and when it doesn't. You'll learn to work with the limitations of the combos because you like the end product of that combo.

OR... for the very reasons stated above, you'll hate Hipstamatic.

Personally, I liked getting to know which lens and film combo I wanted to use in certain situations because when I saw it coming, I would pull up hipstamatic, pull up my favourite combo, and snap away.

Before hipstamatic, I would snap away, then slave all night over which photos looked good and which filter fit the photo.

To conclude this novel, the choice is yours. I give a huge yes to hipstamatic, but follow up with a bigger, cautionary no.

RoseCat, lisamjw and Venomator like this.
  11. dogsitter

dogsitter Addicted

I have bought all the Hipsta stuff. I rarely used it to shoot. I do use it to create textures. Basically I take a picture of a blank sheet of paper using different Hipsta combos. Then I use them in BLENDER.

Steve, bahandi, lisamjw and 2 others like this.
  12. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

I need to start doing that!!

Venomator likes this.
  13. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Hiya Bahandi and a warm welcome to the global Mobile Photography addiction that is your MobiTog community... :thumbs:

Great novel by the way... :D

And, not forgetting that Hipstamatic, like every other, is simply an App to have in your arsenal and not one you are tied to forever and a day just because you did download it... :rog:

That means you can have both the film and digital SLR in your story and, as they are all loaded onto your single source camera that is the iPhone, you have the flexibility and choice with you at all times - but if you haven't downloaded the Film choice you may be depriving yourself of the opportunities and flexibility it offers... :zip:

Please do think about popping over to the Welcome Section to introduce yourself to your fellow MobiMembers and tell us a bit about your iPhoneography work... :notworthy:

Why not try occasionally using Hipstamatic in the Ven's patented Shake-'n-Take routine - it may change your mind about using Hipstamatic more than for just Blending... :D

AND it will definitely come up with some surprising results too, you may even like some of them... :lmao:

14. dogsitter

dogsitter Addicted

Oh, I have tried it. I find that Hipsta isn't too good for street shots. I need to click and run, sort of :))

RoseCat and Venomator like this.
  15. Cryz Imbue

Cryz Imbue Addicted

Cryz Proctor
    I use Andigraf, seems to be more my flava then Hipsta. I can change the lens, film, flash, saves to your roll and in the app, you can set a timer or manually snap photos. I love it.

16. vixenscry

vixenscry Queen of Mono... Site Staff

Victoria Martin
    Ok here's my take ! ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358894730.420379.jpg
    Street
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358894759.875651.jpg
    Landscape
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358894798.707193.jpg
    Country life
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358894838.425696.jpg
    Portrait
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358894933.497382.jpg
    Food
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358895294.097594.jpg
    Pets
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358895376.442709.jpg
    Fun
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358895753.005654.jpg
    And festivities ,

Think that covers my view point a resounding yes from me :D x

RoseCat, Venomator, DanaB and 3 others like this.
  17. dogsitter

dogsitter Addicted

RoseCat, Venomator, DanaB and 2 others like this.
  18. lookingGlass79

lookingGlass79 Daily Chronicler... MobiSupporter

Brandy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I love love love Hipsta so much I've committed to doing my 365 Project in Hipsta only. I've had it 2 yrs and now that I'm finally using it everyday I've learned soo much I didn't know! And I love it more daily! Dog sitter said Hipsta isn't good for street photography or "shoot & go" but once you've learned Hipsta well enough and saved your favorite combos you'll know how to quickly select the perfect combo, no matter what situation you're in!! So I'm a BIG yes you've got to try it!!! :)

peacewogs, Venomator and RoseCat like this.
  19. dogsitter

dogsitter Addicted

Ok, you guys have convinced me!

Venomator and lookingGlass79 like this.
  20. RoseCat

Catherine
    Perfectly stated. :thumbs: My experience too! :D

Venomator likes this.
  21. RoseCat

Catherine
    I use Hipsta almost solely for my street shots, but I choose the combo I want to use and stick with it for the day, so I don't have to mess with switching out films/lenses. I usually set it to a nice B&W combo, or use Cano Cafenol or Libatique if I want to go the sepia route. It's worked well for me... :)

Venomator likes this.
  22. dogsitter

dogsitter Addicted

That's really the reason I haven't used it much for street work. I never do black and white. I also find Hipsta slower than 6x7 and harder to use. I do use it for shots at Starbucks, and I like it for that.

Venomator likes this.
  23. richardcb

richardcb All Bronzed up! Site Staff

Richard
    If Hipstamatic was a washing powder I wouldn't wash my socks in it! It's a cheap (or should that be expensive?) collection of arty filters that add nothing to my pictures and rot the minds of seemingly intelligent people who should know better. Why it's so bad that I....oh, wait, I do the Hipsta Challenge, don't I? Ooops...er...who let that crazed person access to my computer? The previous comments are inoperable and should be ignored by the members of the jury. I'll just..er..go away now.... :whistle: :zip: o_O :p

Venomator and mwolfer like this.
  24. dogsitter

dogsitter Addicted

What comments? :whistle

Venomator and richardcb like this.
  25. wyethia

wyethia Addicted

Theresa
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I really love Hipsta but do a ton of post processing. There are lens that really have unique effects that I find difficult to get with pure post processing (and hey, I sometimes like the locked in nature of the lenses, it reminds me of film.

The new Tinto 1884 is an example of a lens that they have built in software that picks up on your eyes and provides sharp focus on the eyes and blur around. It creates amazing portrait shots that can be tweaked post processing. You can get eyes like this with other lenses but hipsta makes it easy...

An example of a shot I'd edit but with cool eyes.
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358949302.873413.jpg

Here's another shot I would play with but love the starting point hipsta gives me.
    ImageUploadedByMobiTog1358949427.551113.jpg