Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olloclip Review - by Smooth

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by Smooth, 30 July 2011.

1. Smooth

Smooth Site Admin Admin Site Staff

Matt
    Taken from my Blog post.

The Olloclip 3 in 1 Lens.

I sit here on a fairly sunny Saturday morning coffee in hand with a very excited feeling. Why? Because I have a new gadget. Not just any gadget; a photography gadget, an iPhoneography gadget.

I am lucky enough to be one of the first people to have an Olloclip (http://olloclip.com ) sat in front of me. The Olloclip is a multi lens attachment system that promises to add huge functionality to your iPhones camera – and boy does it deliver! The device offers the user a Fisheye, Wide-Angle and Macro lenses all in once device.

The Olloclips’ makers – Patrick O’Neill, Chong Pak and the rest of the Ollo Team most definitely speak my kind of language – both Patrick and Chong are semi professional photographers and all the team are serious about iPhoneography. Just from reading their website and kickstarter pages, you get a real sense of their passion for iPhoneography. We were lucky enough to be on the Olloclips Kickstarter group – and help with getting this entire project of the ground (and as a consequence be one of the first to receive its result!).

There have been a few kickstarter projects with iPhoneography – but the Olloclip project absolutely smashed its target; the total of $68,201 raised compared to the $15,000 goal, and the fact that it reached its initial goal within three days should tell you that the iphoneography world was fairly excited about this product!!!

[​IMG]

The Olloclip with Wide-Angle detached & sat on its Microfibre bag.

The Review.

Price: $69.95 – International Shipping= $10 (7-10 days) $20 (expedited).

Build

A small yet unassuming package awaits me – a 4cm long, 3.5cm wide device primarily constructed from a plastic body, with aircraft grade aluminium lens attachments. The lenses themselves are fashioned from precision ground glass multi-element optics. The Olloclip comes in either black or red (the aluminium lens attachments themselves are coloured). The weight of the device, including both lens attachments is just 21g, but with this, the Ollo feels reassuringly sturdy. Build quality is hard to quantify, but in my opinion the Ollo will last a very long time; it is exceptionally well constructed. The makers have clearly not cut corners/material quality in order to maximise profit – the product itself is testament to their belief that a well made product will far outsell a short term gain cheaper product. The Ollo comes in a micro fibre bag to keep it all safe, and to use to wipe the optics if needed.

Operation

The Ollo slides over the top corner of the iphone to sit snugly on top of the camera and over the top of the power button. As the Ollo is made of plastic in the places where it touches the iphone, there is no fear of scratching or damaging the iPhone (just make sure there is no grit on the phone or inside the Ollo). The Ollo does cover up the iPhones power switch, so will need to be removed each time you want to switch the screen on and off.

Once attached the Ollo feels very sturdy – it is not going anywhere! There has been a lens for the iPhone in the past which used a magnet stick on to attach itself – the Ollo feels much more natural, and does not effect the aesthetics of the iphone when removed.

The two aluminium lenses have rubber lens covers - I would like to have seen these on a tethered string to the body - my lens caps have historically always legged it when not on the lens!

The larger of the two lenses is the Fisheye – this is permanently attached to the Ollo. On the other side is the Macro lens, over the top of which the Wide-Angle(WA) can be attached. The idea of operation is that you can leave both lenses attached generally, and only if you wish to use the Macro would you remove the WA. Both the Fisheye and WA have their own lens caps to keep their optics safe.

The Ollo works with all camera apps as it uses the existing iPhones camera. Those of you using a Steadicam Smoothee will be pleased to know that the Ollo is fully compatible.

The Fisheye

[​IMG]

The Fisheye lens.

[​IMG]

The view from the Fisheye lens whilst using the Camera+ app to take pictures.

You get the feeling that this is the main lens that Patrick and Chong are the most excited about; and wow are they right! As soon as you clip the Ollo on and turn on the camera you are met with Fisheye goodness! No need for PP in any special app, no need for crop/tweaks, just the eye of a fish, straight away. Due to tiny variations in the positioning of the iPhone camera in the body, you may need to slightly tweak the alignment of the fisheye to get the image central - this is easily done by very gently pushing the Fisheye lens on its mount to line everything up, and is described on the Olloclip website - http://olloclip.com/olloclip/faq.html#I_notice_a_offset_in_the_image_

Below you can see a comparison of the standard cameras view, to the full fisheye effect. As you can see, the image produced is VERY useable - the makers have clearly used science in making the lenses and paid special attention to image quality.

[​IMG]

The view from the bare iPhone camera.

[​IMG]

The same view from the iPhone with the Fisheye attached.

Wide Angle

[​IMG]

The Wide Angle lens in action.

The wide angle lens is the smaller of the two aluminium ones. The effect that it has on the standard field of view for the iPhones camera is profound:

[​IMG]

The view from the bare iPhone camera.

[​IMG]

The same view from the Wide Angle lens.

Obviously there is some barrel distortion on the wide angle - this will be a lot less pronounced when taking pictures of landscapes rather than the linear view outside SmoothTowers.

The Macro

[​IMG]

The Macro lens.

The naked lens underneath the Wide Angle. I am going to break the mould and firmly make this my absolute favourite! Wow, wow, and a bit more WOW! I had some very excited expectations of this lens, but whilst awaiting it, I had it in my head that perhaps I shouldn't get them too high. I have been considering spending £200 on a macro lens for my DSLR to try and capture some of the less obvious photography around me... I thought I would await the arrival of the Ollo and its Macro lens.... Boy am I a happy Smooth. The Macro is simply incredible! The focus distance is incredibly close, and it makes for some fantastic imagery. As with any macro, you will require a fair amount of light - the Ollo covers the iPhones flash when attached, but in any case I think that the on board flash is decidedly rubbish, and would be far to pinpoint for macro.

[​IMG]

Tips of sugar packets with the Macro lens.

[​IMG]

A fork with the macro lens.

[​IMG]

An eye with the Macro lens... WOW!

Conclusions

The Ollo has some very special qualities to it, none more so than that it has been lovingly designed by photographers. This has resulted in a product that is not only incredibly well designed, but also incredibly functional - the optical quality and output is simply magnificent. The Ollo will most definitely be a BIG part of my iPhoneography from now on.

My only (very minor) suggestions for improvement are to have a tethering system for the lens caps, and to have a push button on the top of the Ollo so that the iPhones power switch can still be operated without having to detach the device.

My main concern when waiting for the Ollo to arrive was that that it would be aimed at the mass market and would not be overly concerned with the image quality it produced. I needn't have been worried; the image quality is fantastic and this is most definitely an iPhoneography tool rather than toy, and for the $70 investment, and incredibly good value investment, and one which I firmly and totally recommend that you partake in, right now.

Made by iPhoneographers for iPhoneographers.

The Olloclip is a very special iPhoneography device indeed.

klassklown0 likes this.
  2. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Simply awesome tool indeed Matt and a superb review of the olloclip! :thumbs:

Excellent points about the tethering of the lens caps, in the meantime i am sure the team back at Ollo HQ will be providing spares at very little or no cost... :)

Nice one Matt, excellent all round review and superb accompanying images from Smooth Towers, and lunch yesterday... :D

3. Annie

Annie New Member

Dammit now I want one LOL!

4. Venomator

Rog...
    And so you should Annie - they're awesome... :thumbs:

We are trying hard to negotiate a discount with olloclip for MobiMembers, nothing guaranteed of course, but we will let you know as soon as we hear... :D

From MiPhone4 via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

5. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Great review!!! I would love to order right now but I'm due for an upgrade to an iPhone 5. Hopefully the lens will work with the new phone.

6. Venomator

Rog...
    Hope so too Lisa - but that can only happen if they do keep the same dimensions for the upgrade, which may only be a 4S in September (ish), possibly... :D

7. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    I guess I'll just have to be patient; a virtue for which I'm not always known!!

8. JillyG

JillyG Addicted

Great review Matt. Well done. It is an awesome addition to the iPhone. Every iPhone should have one!

Sent from MiPad using the awesome and FREE MobiTog app... :)

9. bpahia

bpahia Addicted

Bryan
    I need one now! (though I'm still waiting on a Glif and a tripod...)

Smooth and Venomator like this.
  10. richardcb

richardcb All Bronzed up! Site Staff

Richard
    Great review, Matt, even though my lenses come from the 'rival camp'. ;)

11. Smooth

Matt
    Thanks all :)

They are a fantastic bit of kit.

The price has been ammended - there are two levels of international shipping - $10 & $20 - making it even more affordable.

12. bufffffy

bufffffy New Member

Great review! I ordered mine a week ago and still waiting for it to reach S'pore ~ *sighhhhhhhh*

13. Smooth

Matt
    Hang in there Bufffffy - well worth the wait! :D

14. bufffffy

bufffffy New Member

just received my olloclip today and my iphone never looked so sexxxy!!!

Smooth likes this.
  15. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Waiting for mine to arrive! So guess need to go sell my photojojo lenses! :confused:

16. Venomator

Rog...
    Good decision Veevs... :thumbs:

You will not be disappointed... :D

17. bufffffy

bufffffy New Member

Veevs: i was a bit disappointed at first that i had to remove my front and back skin protector but i must say my iphone really look neat bare skin with the olloclip on ^_^

PS- I actually bought the olloclip by mistake thinking it was the owle bubo i read in iphoneography group last december lol!

18. Venomator

Rog...
    That'll be a good mistake then Buff... :cool:

And I couldn't agree more about the look and feel of the nekkid iPhone 4... it's so awesomely sexy... :D

19. bufffffy

bufffffy New Member

i was thinking about that,,,whether it was a good mistake. but with the hefty price of the owle, i have to say it is :)

20. bpahia

bpahia Addicted

Bryan
    I have officially joined the Olloclip party! Just got mine a little while ago! And of course, I had to bust out the Lego! I'm going to love this thing!

image-1099558212.png

mrtnwild and RoseCat (Catherine) like this.
  21. Renée

Renée New Member

Great review! Will have to add that to my wish list asap :)

22. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Ohhh how cool, and I am still waiting for mine to arrive!! I hope I get it by tomorrow!!

23. Venomator

Rog...
    You can lust after my own Olloclip this evening Veevs... :lmao:

24. Veevs

Veevs Addicted

Waaaahhhhhhhh dont make me cry! I am off to Moscow on Sunday and desperately want my Olloclip!!! I ordered it on the 2nd of August - how long did it take to get to you Rog??

25. Venomator

Rog...
    Not totally sure Veevs as ours were pre-ordered within the early days of the KickStart project... :eek:

Not much help I know - did they give you a tracking notice you can check progress with maybe... :D