Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W Newbie critique

Discussion in 'Critique Corner' started by wesen3000, 9 June 2012.

1. wesen3000

wesen3000 New Member

Hi, i just started with photography, and only have an iphone as a camera. I pictured showing a few pictures for critique would be the best way to get started into getting better. I am pretty prolific when i get into a new field so i wanted to ask if it would be alright to post like a new picture every 2 or 3 days or so? S a side note im a pretty avid drawer and painter, but am unhappy about my composition and figured doing a lot of daily practice with the iphone (much quicker than drawing even thumbnails) would help me.

Anyway, here is the first picture i would submit for critique, i just shot it today, as i was making a plant series around my home. Actually i upped the 3 bw pictures i did :) i like the first one the best, as its not cluttered and the plant is easily recognizable in bw. The second i like too, but i feel like the plant is not coming out right too well, and the cropping may not be the best (too much space on the left?). I dont have a good feel a bout composition yet so i may not be able to recognize what is going on vewry well. On the third i wanted to go with the round shape of the plant and the dark/light contrast, but i was not able to darken the left side enough without it looking crappy, and i feel like this (and the second one) may work better in color ,as the plant pops out in green against the earthy grey background.

Thanks a lot and i hope i am not intruding too much,

Regards, manuel

image-4069949419.jpg image-736560450.jpg image-3654720606.jpg
  2. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Hi Manuel and welcome to MobiTog, THE iPhoneography Community, it is great you have joined us and immediately started posting iMages for critique.... ;)

I will spend more time later commenting on your iMages but, for now, just wanted to answer a couple of your questions and suggest one or two things in general... :)

Welcome to iPhoneography - you may well find you will not need any other camera as you improve and become well satisfied with the results you are getting... :rog:

You can post as many iMages you want to but, for serious comment you are generally better keeping to one or two per post, although more in a specific series is ok, to give them a better chance of decent comment - putting more than that in a post may well impact on the feedback you get for each iMage!

The same applies to the overall number of iMages you post to various iMage Sharing Sections - there is no limit but the more you post that less you are likely to get a decent amount of comment and feedback - your 1 or 2 every two or three days is absolutely fine though... :)

You are not intruding at all, do not worry about that as this is exactly what our community is all about!

Finally, please pop over to the Welcome Section and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you. And you iPhoneography as you say Hi to your fellow MobiMembers... :D

From MiPad (3) via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D
  3. wesen3000

wesen3000 New Member

Thanks a lot, will keep that in mind, thanks for the kind welcome! I definitely think the iphone is going to be enough for me. Im very happy with the actual quality, and i always have it with me. And i can very well see how having more gear would actually take the fun out of it. When i paint, i just use my three primaries in a small watercolor box with some cheap brush pens and my fountain pen, and thats the best fun ever.

Thanks again, manuel
    Venomator and RoseCat like this.
  4. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    Hi Manuel, and welcome to MobiTog!! :D

You are absolutely not intruding...this is exactly what this forum is all about. :D And feel free to post as many photos as you'd like, as often as you'd like. We'd love to see them! :thumbs: I do agree with Venomator that limiting yourself to one photo per post will help you get the best feedback from the community.

Very nice B&W shots! I think your compositions are quite nice. I really like the texture in the second one, and also like that it's not perfectly centered - it adds interest to my eye.

If you want to try and get more "drama" in your B&Ws, Noir is a great app to add light & shadows, or try DramaticB&W. Simply B&W is another good one.

Make sure to check out our Apps Discussion, App Tutorials, and App Review forums which are loaded with app information.

Then run over to the AppStore and grab some new apps and join the ranks of MobiTog iAddicts! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
    iColorama likes this.
  5. wesen3000

wesen3000 New Member

Woah noir is great exactly what i was looking for. I redid the last image very quickly without even checking the manual :)

Attached Files:

iColorama, Venomator and RoseCat like this.
  6. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Nice job!! I agree with Catherine...I love the texture in #2. Your re-do in #3 worked very well!! Keep up the good work!
  7. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    So glad you like the app! Really love how your photo turned out.., :)

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog