Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniatureCam

Discussion in 'App Reviews' started by sigul, 26 July 2012.

1. sigul

sigul Addicted

Silvio Gulizia
    Hi there,
    Today MiniatureCam was free and I downloaded it and tried to take a couple of photo. I think I didn't understand why they say "miniaturize the world". Is anybody in love with it?

image-2387876561.jpg
    MsDee and Syma Khalid like this.
  2. mahoganyturtle

mahoganyturtle MobiTog iOTY 2012 Mobi Veteran

mel
    I got it yesterday too but have not had a chance to play I love tilt shift so can't wait to use it :D
  3. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    I use TiltShiftGen, and SnapSeed (I think?) and Camera+ also have that capability. Would be interested to hear if this one has anything more to offer...

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
  4. sigul

sigul Addicted

Silvio Gulizia
    Tried it. It lets you preview the result before shooting. Nice, but I am not sure I need it. In the meanwhile, it's still there on my iPhone I don't know why
    RoseCat and lamkentucky like this.
  5. RoseCat

Catherine
    Yes, I have many apps on my iPhone like that... I've deleted several, probably should delete more to free up some space! AppWhoarder, that's me. :D
  6. Chris / interealtime

Chris / interealtime The NightCapper... Developer

Chris
    Tiltshift *can* be wonderful. The vast majority of iphone shots I've seen that try to use it are just regular shots with blurred corners like the one you posted though... which just leaves me wondering why the corners are blurred.

Ideally, to do it properly you need a tilt-shift lens. They're big. And very expensive. If you want to do it on the iphone, there's definitely some learning involved.

The first thing you need to learn is how to select a scene. It needs to be a scene that could look like a miniature model with the right treatment, and you have to get the angle right. The idea is that the photo ends up looking like a macro of something tiny, with very strong depth of field. As a rule you want to be looking down on the scene to emphasise the smallness, and you want a good range of depth in the scene to show up the depth of field effect.

Next is getting the effect, and this part is hard. You want a depth of field effect, not a "get more blurred towards the top and bottom" effect. If you've only got that blurred top/bottom (looks to be the case from your shot), then you have to shoot something where the close stuff is all at the bottom and the far stuff is all at the top, and nothing sticks up too much to ruin the effect.

That chair for example, why is it out of focus at the bottom and in focus at the top? The scene doesn't suit the app - you need to shoot something fairly flat. If you can find a city with no tall buildings, then take a shot from high up, it might look good. Example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Jodhpur_tilt_shift.jpg

If you can find an app where you're able to selectively blur you can do more complex scenes. It's very difficult though. You have to make the depth of field look right - which gets harder the more complex the shapes in the scene get. In that shot with the chair I'm really not sure how you'd even handle it to make it look small :( Best case, you'd probably pick a better angle so more of the chair is showing, then try to get the very front of the chair out of focus but the back of the chair sharp... with a smooth blend in-between that follows the depth in the scene. Even with photoshop or similar it's a hard thing to do.
  7. sigul

sigul Addicted

Silvio Gulizia
    Very useful comment thanks!
  8. RoseCat

Catherine
    Yes! Thanks Chris! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
  9. Robert Lancaster

Robert Lancaster Searching for Groovy! Site Staff

Robert Lancaster
    Awesome response ... and anything which references wikimedia gets an additional :thumbs: from me!
    RoseCat likes this.