Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. MobiMono IS BACK... Hold onto your Blacks & Whites!

HDR Effect Apps

Discussion in 'Apps Discussion' started by iColorama, 9 May 2012.

1. iColorama

iColorama SheColoramas... Developer

teresa
    Please help me find any good app out.. Which ones do you recommend for the iPad?..
    I'm looking most for the effect that can be created from a single image...
    kind of this:

http://talonsodev.com/wp/?p=787

(that i will add next to my app) But I want to compare...

Thanks!

2. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    I am aware of one called Simply HDR, but have not used it myself. It is supposed to be designed around using one image. Just curious, why just one image? :)

3. iColorama

teresa
    Well in iPad 1 we don't have a camera so I can't take the usually 3 different brackets photos...+ maybe you want to enhance some old photo .... Thanks! I will test that one!

4. iColorama

teresa
    That one was superb! Kind of what I was looking for many thanks!!!

5. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    If you are working with different exposures of the same scene, I have other preferred apps for that. I am not a big fan of using just one image if you are after a scene that looks realistic. If you are after more of a graphic treatment of the image, the a single image is perfectly fine.

6. iColorama

teresa
    Tell me which one, don't keep it secret, I can test that too)) I liked a lot Simply HDR...is kind of what I want to achieve...

7. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Two others you can check out are Pro HDR and TrueHDR. Both use two images for HDR but you can import one image in and still do some cool things.

8. iColorama

teresa
    Thanks, very appreciated! !!! I will try these too! :thumbs:

9. iColorama

teresa
    I think Simply HDR is best , not to be annoying, but it feels you are kind of expert here))): if u check my pics at my site what do u think is missing to get the HDR feeling? Also if u think that is useless. Many thanks in forward.
    The another reason why I want from a single pic is that HDR will be just one step of many that is how my app works

10. MsDee

MsDee Whatever Nexus?... MobiSupporter

Dee
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I use SimplyHDR off and on if I don't have a tripod to bracket. Another one I like is DynaLight or Dynamic Light.

11. iColorama

teresa
    I never had hear about these, I will try!! Thank you!!

12. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Teresa,

Here is an explanation that will discuss one file HDR vs multiple file HDR. This info below is written to people who are more seriously into photography and and who use the computer for post-processing. So, it is not the specific technique I am pointing to here as much as it is the rationale behind the approach. This might offer some understanding between those apps that use two or more files and those that only use one image. If you want real HDR, you cannot do this with just one image. You will be solely dependent on effects there - not increased dynamic range in the image. When all is said and done though, you can use whatever accomplishes your purpose and works for you. :) My goal in posting the info below is not to push anyone onto other platforms beyond the iPhone. Sometimes, simply understanding more about the tools and processes we have will make us better at using them. Fortunately, you can do both on the iPhone.

Another consideration is that there seem to be two styles of HDR. One is a fantastic reality of the scene we saw - like you are there. The other is a heavily processed graphic image and many like this style - but it departs pretty far from the reality of the original scene. And this second option is OK if that is the effect you want. So, which of the two are you after?

The other consideration (issue?) is that I am a photographer. Even worse is that I am a landscape photographer, so I can be a perfectionist about things like this. Take that into consideration also... :) :)

Here's the info on this:

Can't I just create the HDR image from one file?
    Not really. Your image file contains data captured by the sensors for only one exposure. The total dynamic range you can reconstruct from one photo converted with different exposure settings can never be more than the dynamic range captured by your camera, and this is rather limited.

When you are using only one exposure to capture the scene, your image file is already your HDR image.
    Converting the image file to images with different exposure levels is a bit like slicing the dynamic range of the image into several parts. Combining the parts back into an HDR image will at best re-produce the dynamic range of the initial image file.
    That said, if you are using a good image converter (like Photoshop or Lightroom) to derive fake exposures from a single image file, you will probably notice that the HDR image created from the fake exposures shows more dynamic range than the pseudo-HDR image obtained by converting the single image file directly. This is because your image converter includes a good noise reduction function, and this has an important effect on the dynamic range. Your image converter may also include the ability to continue to retrieve highlights details when one or two of the color channels have already reached saturation.
    So, a good image converter includes functions designed to optimize the dynamic range retrieved from the camera sensor data, but this does not change the fact that the dynamic range of an image file is limited to one exposure only. Unless the dynamic range of your scene is low, you will need to take more than one exposure to create an HDR image of the scene.

13. iColorama

teresa
    Thanks very much !! Very interesting reading!!
    I will add the effect to my app but after this discussion I will not call it HDR or Fake HDR as it feels wrong.
    Actually what I do is to use a high-pass combined with other simple things, so it will be more appropriate to call it "High" or something like it.
    Than you again for your help!!