Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY iPhone Macro Lens 3D Printable at Shapeways

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by appsman, 9 November 2011.

1. appsman

appsman New Member

The Olloclip is cute and multi-functioned, but at $70 it's kind of pricey. I designed my own iPhone 4 macro attachment that you can print out on Shapeways. It takes a high quality 12mm plano-convex glass lens that you can buy from Surplus Shed for $4. For anyone interested, here it is:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-iPhone-4-or-4S-slide-on-macro-lens/

I think the image quality is better than Olloclip (at least for macro). This close-up of a metric ruler is unedited and uncropped and shows essentially no barrel distortion or edge blurring.

[​IMG]
  2. Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis Addicted Mobi Veteran

Great read Appsman, I like how you've sourced the parts and even have model numbers. If my Olloclip hadn't just arrived I would have given it a go. Now I have a back-up plan if it breaks. Cheers :)

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
    RoseCat (Catherine) likes this.
  3. girish_nayyar

girish_nayyar Addicted

Fantastic!
  4. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    WOW....

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
  5. klassklown0

klassklown0 Addicted

I'll check it out as I haven't ordered an Olloclip yet.
  6. adjuvantjfoster

adjuvantjfoster New Member

All I want is a 2X zoom lens.

Olloclip is allegedly coming out with one later in 2012. There is a magnetic clip trio of lenses available, but I would like to avaoid fastening a magnet to my iPhone as it would mean my OtterBox case would no longer fit.

I have ordered the plastic clip from Shapeways.

I would appreciate some ordering details of "a high quality 12mm plano-convex glass lens that you can buy from Surplus Shed"

A call to the Surplus shed gave me the explanation that I would need to know if this would be a single element lens, that their on line lens finder would show, or a multiple element lens.

If I knew the Surplus Shed lens part number I could get the same Macro lens.

Sadly, I am looking for a different lens, a 2X zoom or telephoto lens, of fixed focus, that will fit into the piece of Shapeways plastic that I have ordered.

I seem to be unclear on the concept as to what focal length your macro lens was and what focal length the 2x lens would have to be.

A copy of your reply to my email account would be appreciated.

adjuvantjfoster at mac dot com