Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheetah wings

Discussion in 'Hipstamatic' started by ValeriGail, 31 July 2012.

1. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    It's been an eventful day!! Went to a neighboring city's (it's Texas so an hour drive lol) state park. We were only there half an hour when we got locked out and the food got locked in... With the keys. An hour and a half later, it took a park ranger 5 minutes to wedge the door open with a lock out kit and save the day. He was my hero! If I hadn't been so stressed I would of thought clearer and taken his picture. But I was a mess, totally freaked out about the prospect of only having donuts to feed my kids and having them jump wild like into the gator infested lake due to a sugar high. ;). Wait... Maybe I should have thought that over a little better.. Haha. It was all worth it though when things settled and we got to enjoy the rest of the day..

image-1077753606.jpg

image-963096634.jpg

image-3292923107.jpg
  2. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    What an eventful day! o_O Looks like a beautiful spot... That dragonfly is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
    Carol likes this.
  3. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Great images!! Where were you?
  4. Carol

Carol Addicted

Looks like a wonderful place,:) but not such a wonderful ending.:(
    Great series!
  5. Robert Lancaster

Robert Lancaster Searching for Groovy! Site Staff

Robert Lancaster
    What a cool looking place ... and the weather seems to have been perfect.
    Forget about the key issue and remember the rest of the day which I am sure rocked!
    Natural beauty and an iPhone ... a match made in heaven. :)
  6. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    Huntsville state park. Lovely place. First time I've been since my oldest was like 4. He's now 16! Lol. I'm going to go back when it's cooler and I can walk the trails and don't lose half the day to a key emergency. Lol
  7. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    It's been ages since we've been there. There were some good hiking trails as I recall but, you're right, it's too hot right now.
  8. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    not to mention gators! LOL when we first got there, one of the Rangers came over and asked if we would be swimming because they were closing the swimming area to treat the lake for that plant that is growing in it and Oh by the way if you want to see something cool right over there behind that sign there is a baby gator in a trap. Like not even a foot outside the swimming hole! HAHA. The kids were then seeing gators at every leaf. Was hilarious.

They trapped the gator because some of the campers had been feeding it, so it was coming to the swimming hole to beg for food. They were relocating it out of the lake.

The day turned out awesome, it really did. The kids didn't even realize there was an issue... they just ran around and played. thankfully we were locked out right next to the playground, a floating fishing dock, a really cool club house, bathrooms, and where there was plenty of shade. So there was a lot for us to explore while being stuck. And we got to watch them treat the lake with a big air boat (I think that is what they call these boats) twice. It was just me and my 16 year old that was stressed. My mom was laughing her head off and texting everyone she knows so they could laugh too. HAHA.

The weather was HOT. It was 101, with a feel like temp of... oh gosh, Burn in hell. HAHA. There was a nice breeze that made you think it wasn't so hot, but once you stepped out from under the trees, It got you good. When we went out to take pics of the floating fishing dock, I thought I was gonna pass out. The reflection of the sun off the metal dock was intense. I made the kids leave and go back up on the shore under the trees while I snapped the pics. But it was clear, and sunny and made everything look intensely beautiful! Just what I wanted. I can't wait to go back and have more time to really get out and photograph every inch of the place. It just wasn't safe in the heat to do so.

Be back to post pics of them treating the lake.... Stay tuned!
    lisamjw and Robert Lancaster like this.
  9. Robert Lancaster

Robert Lancaster
    Your Mom sounds like a riot! I personally would have made my Mom walk home. :D

The temperature was hot (to us that is 38C). Our average summer highs are often in the 30C to 35C, and sometimes even higher. It must just have a slight breeze to take the edge off. There is a place just up the west coast from Cape Town called Vredendal where the temperatures in summer often go well above 40C (104F). The strange thing is that in winter it is also one of the coldest places in our country too.
    I am really looking forward to summer here so that I can take puh-lenty of pictures now that I have discovered iPhoneography. This will be my first summer snapping away on the 3GS. So keep a look out for those pictures come summer ( winter for you :( ).

I will keep a look out for the lake pictures. I am sure they will be spectacular. :)
  10. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    Second one isn't Hipsta, it's 645, and you cant see the gator.. But that's the gator trap. I took more with the DSLR so I could zoom. Poor thing wanted out.

image-621352482.jpg

image-2839431962.jpg
    RoseCat, MsDee, lisamjw and 2 others like this.
  11. Robert Lancaster

Robert Lancaster
    Poor beast!!! I hope they were going to relocate him.

We don't get gators in our neck of the woods ... we get crocodiles! :)
    Well not locally but in some places in South Africa.
    The only crocodiles we have locally are in the crocodile farm about 30mins drive from where I work.
  12. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    It will get hotter here. We are in our hottest month. So far, it's been a mild summer with crazy July storms (here where I am) but August and September can be brutal. We can easily climb to 105 and on occasions 110. That's when you just don't leave the house. ;). And the humidity is fierce. I lived in the Dallas area, where it gets a bit hotter, but less humidity. I used to say that was better.... But NOT in august and September. Those were the only two months I wished for Houston over Fort Worth. Lol.

I live on lake Livingston.. So I am blessed with a nice lake breeze a good portion of the time. Brings my temp down. But if the air goes stale, which is generally the case right now... The sun cooks off that lake. I had to shut off my sun room from the rest of the house because it was heating up the house too much and the air couldn't work. But, two months is nothing. I can live with closing out the sun for a while so I can have the lake at my back door year round :)

October is my favorite month. I love when the weather switches.
    RoseCat and lisamjw like this.
  13. ValeriGail

ValeriGail Addicted

Valeri
    They were. Probably releasing him into into trinity river. or possibly a gator farm. I'm hoping they were taking him to the river.

A little later I was joking around walking up to the edge of the marsh area to take a picture of some cat tails and said "would totally suck if there was a gator waiting to bite my leg off". Well.. Off came out a bit like a scream because there was a baby gator that took off into the water. Was about four feet from me. I laughed and laughed at the irony. Lock keys in car, get eaten by a gator, yep successful family trip! Haha
    RoseCat and lisamjw like this.
  14. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    :eek: