Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the iPhone 4S replace a 'real' digital camera?

Discussion in 'World Mobile Photography News' started by richardcb, 21 November 2011.

1. vixenscry

vixenscry Queen of Mono... Site Staff

Victoria Martin
    I have already said my piece but if my Dslr could talk right now it would say "please get me out of this case and use me I'm lonely " :D
  2. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Gordon, I stand corrected and apologise - there is, for some inexplicable reason a 'not' missing from my original post, now corrected, that is quite significant in this case...:D

From MiPhone4S via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D
  3. mrulster

mrulster New Member

Allan Leonard
    @Venomator: Thank you for the warm welcome; I've duly posted at the Welcome thread: http://www.mobitog.com/threads/mr-ulster-greetings-from-northern-ireland.3571/

I take on board all the responses, but I don't think the DSLR is dead, or will die. Think of a full-frame sensor like the Canon EOS 5D with a 35mm f 1.4 lens or a zoom 600mm f 4.0 lens. Gorgeous.

But yes, for many people -- many on this forum and many of my family and friends who've never had any photography lessons -- the iPhone will surely make the compact camera redundant.

Instead, what would be remarkable is if the iPhone can kill off the emerging arrivals of everything in between it and DSLR -- Compact System Cameras (CSCs), Single Lens Translucent (SLT), and various sensor sizes short of full frame/APS.

Indeed, it would be exciting to see Apple recognise the game it's in by ramping up the image capture and processing capacities in its next iteration of the iPhone -- with at least a better piece of glass/lens (if the phone's thinness prohibits a much larger sensor).
  4. mrulster

mrulster New Member

Allan Leonard
  5. mrulster

mrulster New Member

Allan Leonard
    An interesting article, "Did Apple redefine photography with the iPhone", by The Next Web. Answer: yes.

Author makes similar argument as mine: iPhone may not compete against DSLRs, but they are certainly a viable alternative to any point-and-shoot compact camera.
    RoseCat, lisamjw and Venomator like this.
  6. Venomator

Rog...
    Well writ article, thanks for the linky Allan... :thumbs:

AND - there is a very useful iPhoneography Guide right at the end, especially good for MobiPeeps relatively new to the medium... :D

From MiPad2 using the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D
  7. mrulster

mrulster New Member

Allan Leonard
  8. iNOLOGIST

iNOLOGIST Addicted

9. mrulster

mrulster New Member

Allan Leonard
    Here is Polaroid's attempt -- a new model SC1630 Smart Camera (their name) -- due to be out this year. No date or price. Uses Android OS. 3G capable but they're negotiating terms with network carriers. 16MP with optical zoom. Use Android apps to edit before uploading/sharing images. Looks interesting:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/a-camera-phone-sans-phone
  10. Venomator

Rog...
    So, it's an iPhone, without the phone?... ;(

Isn't that just an iPod Touch... ;)

Even if they do claim a better zoomie thingy lens and a few more megalypixies, who are they kidding... :D

11. mrulster

mrulster New Member

Allan Leonard
    Well, this Polaroid is to be 3G enabled, which the iPod Touch is not. But then the iPod Touch has Wi-Fi, so you could always send/upload when you get in range. But the iPod Touch camera lens is pants. So... Apple response should be to upgrade their iPod Touch with a better lens!
  12. Venomator

Rog...
    They will, it is generally a step or so behind the iPhone though... :D

13. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    I agree that the iPod lens has LOTS of room for improvement, but it's not the lens that creates art, it's the artist. Take a peek at what our Vixen creates with her iPod. :sneaky:

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
  14. DezRacer

DezRacer Addicted

Jimmy
    Well if your name is Polaroid or Kodak in todays world you better reinvent yourself... I believe my iPhone doesn't replace my DSLR which I know isn't a popular vote around here...:whistle:...however my iPhone is incredible and I love shooting with it. I wouldn't say its a replacement I'd say its another style of shooting. The 2 styles are tons of fun and I enjoy both...however back to the Polaroid smart camera...from reinvention and adaptation comes new ideas and new horizons. Id say Mr Jobs was the absolute king at this. Who knows maybe it will push someone like Apple or others to come out with the new iPhone??? That could be a great thing for all of us.
    RoseCat likes this.
  15. vixenscry

vixenscry Queen of Mono... Site Staff

Victoria Martin
    image-2159977367.png

He may have had a cool Dslr and a huge lens for his ego but , he didn't have the best shot ! I had one more magic element to my shot ! Him ! And mine is just an iPod lol ! No massive tripod or a heavy bag ! Me myself and n iPod ! Did he really need all that gubbins ! Tehe !
    M_A_N_E, lisamjw, RoseCat and 3 others like this.
  16. richardcb

richardcb All Bronzed up! Site Staff

Richard
    Well said, Jimmy. I hope nobody thinks today's iPhone offers a serious challenge to what a well-specced DSLR with a full range of lenses can do. However, as an alternative the iPhone offers creativity on a new and exciting level. Though we may all have claim to have other cameras gathering dust since the arrival of the idevices, I haven't heard of many that have actually sold them yet!
    cpoole, mahoganyturtle and DezRacer like this.
  17. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Addicted

I think that four pages of civil discussion answers the title of this thread very adequately... It doesn't replace a DSLR for me because I never HAD one.
    RoseCat, mahoganyturtle and Venomator like this.
  18. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Well said!! (I never had a DSLR either.)
  19. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    I almost feel it might be risky for me to enter this discussion because I just posted a comparison on this very topic. :) :) :)

By now, most of you know I am OCD about running tests to prove things out. I have had so much fun with my iPhone that I got curious about this whole topic a while back. That is why I jumped on 645 PRO as I did. I am looking for something to happen that will give the iPhone a fighting chance against the DSLR image quality I already have at my disposal. Unfortunately, at the current technology level of the iPhone, placing both camera categories side by side in an equal shoot-out, it does not matter what I try to do to help my iPhone 4S out, it has no chance of outperforming even my lowest grade of DSLR (which is a Nikon D70 at 6MP). Even though the 4S is 8MP, the differences in the size of the image sensor and the tiny optics put it at a big disadvantage versus the D70. In my recent article, I compared the 4S against the D300 with a 12.3 MP CMOS sensor and I had to "disadvantage" the output from my Nikon by reducing it in pixel size to match that of the 4S (3267 pixel width of I remember correctly). This degrades the original DSLR image to some slight degree. However, I used the iPhone's TIFF image (the best output I can get from 645 PRO) at full pixel size to squeeze all from it that I could. I originally had planned to use the full 12.3 MP image from the D300 in direct comparison but the difference in favor of the D300 was just too great. And, it was easier to do the comparison crops with equal size images.

Frankly, I was concerned that I would make all of you think I was some kind of spy from the DSLR camp. I genuinely tried, but the results were what they were. If I had used my full-frame sensor D700 with a better lens, the results would have fared much worse for the 4S. I am not trying to discourage anyone, so what would have been the point of that? That's why I backed the test down to the D300.

Despite how this may look -- I want my iPhone to come out on top also. I love being able to walk thru Costco and in 5 seconds, pull out this wafer thin device and walk away with a shot of roses that, provided I don't do a head to head comparison, looks like DSLR territory. My 4S may be the underdog for now but I am cheering it onward.

Looking forward though, I agree with Inologist. Nothing changes faster than the consumer electronics market and in that sphere, computers and cameras are at the very front of the line. And for those of you who have been around long enough to remember... :) ..., Dick Tracy had a wrist radio and we all saw it and considered that to be sci-fi back then. Now it is reality and considered no big deal. Who know where this "camera that thinks it is a phone and a multitude of other things" is headed.

One thing is for certain ---> it won't be backwards.
    Reed, wyethia, M_A_N_E and 1 other person like this.
  20. richardcb

Richard
    Chris, the French have a great expression for it - vive la différence. In this case, hooray for that difference between an iPhone and a DSLR. Each can do amazing things but they should not be competing on a level playing field. The past is history, the present is now and the future is in the hands of the speculators. Let's enjoy this moment with our iPhones, our apps and our creativity. [Cue stirring music, wave the banners, release the fireworks. :D]
    Venomator and lisamjw like this.
  21. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Richard - again..., well said. And that we shall!
  22. richardcb

Richard
    I'll see you on the barricades, mon ami! :D
  23. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs::inlove:
  24. cpoole

cpoole Addicted

Chris Poole
    Rosecat and Vixenscry... :)

Better be careful on one point. If you fall in love with NightCap or 645 PRO with the low light setting, you are still going to need your tripod. :eek:

But you can cheat!

Manfrotto_3009_mini-tripod.jpg
    RoseCat likes this.
  25. mahoganyturtle

mahoganyturtle MobiTog iOTY 2012 Mobi Veteran

mel
    I am not a photographer...so for me the iphone is a superior tool LOL, I bought a DSLR...I tried I really did..but my photos are shockingly bad!