Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abstract GB

Discussion in 'Critique Corner' started by BorisTheCrab, 29 July 2012.

1. BorisTheCrab

BorisTheCrab Addicted

Chris Spencer-Brown
    I really want to do more abstract pics but don't really know where to start and what apps to use.

This is my first attempt using native cam, decim8 and image blender

image-3409599267.png

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog
    Carol, Venomator, RoseCat and 3 others like this.
  2. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Very nice!! You used one of my favorite apps, Decim8. I also use some of the filters in iColorama (iPhone) iColorama (iPad). Tiny Planet is good for abstracts and so are the symmetry filters in FX Photo Studio.
    iColorama and BorisTheCrab like this.
  3. BorisTheCrab

BorisTheCrab Addicted

Chris Spencer-Brown
    Well I've had decim8 for a while but kind of forgot about it. The last few nights I've had a play and am getting the hang of it.

Just ran the iMage through Tiny Planet and the transformation is great!

image-141910653.png

4. lisamjw

lisamjw Pretty & Sneaky... Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    That does look great!!
  5. Robert Lancaster

Robert Lancaster Searching for Groovy! Site Staff

Robert Lancaster
    Hi Boris,
    You can also look at things like Percolator, Popsicolor, any of the PhotoArtista or Moku Hanga apps, PicFx and then using blending a variety of results with things like TrueHDR, HDRFusion, ImageBlender, IrisPhotoSuite and Filterstorm. Blending in B&W or sketch images also creates cool effects. It is often the blending mode and reblending images that turns a photograph into an abstract. decim8 as you is an amazing place to start. Spend some time with it learning the different fx and combinations and save the combinations you like.

One other tip is to look at apps like Substrate, FluidFx, ARTREE, SpiroDoodle, iOrnament, pixelpainter, Thicket, fluidity and Meritum Paint for some inspiration.

All you need to do is find your groove ... and then run with it. :)
    RoseCat likes this.
  6. lamkentucky

lamkentucky A Little Sparkler... Site Staff

Leslee Moore
    I am absolutely hooked on iColorama S for abstracts! It does many things and does them well...

Sent from my iPhone using the MobiTog app
  7. jrgb

jrgb New Member

Jürgen Richter-Gebert
    Hi Boris and Robert,
    I'm Jürgen the author of iOrnament you mentioned in your post (hope you do not consider this post as spam, it isn't).
    Just one more tip that I use sometimes to get intriguing abstract images where the rules are difficult to decipher: Combine several programs and use their strengths. So for instance there are many nice kaleidoskopic apps out there that can use images from the photo library. Now feed them with a screenshot of another program thet has other strengths in creating abstract images like an interesting ornament created with iOrnament, or screeshots form Alchemist Rose. As result you get something that overlays some different structural principles. Another nice combination is to use the a screenshot of say iOrnament as input for Procreate (my favorite drawing tool) and redo the abstract exact stuff by hand in an inexact way and for instance overlay this. This is how the iOrnament Icon was created.

One more thing: If you want some inspiration for different types of abstract ornaments. A few days ago I started a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IOrnament . There you find for instance interlocking creatures a la Escher, or infinite knots.
    Would be great to see other people doing interlocking creatures.
    Carol, Venomator, Delta and 4 others like this.
  8. lamkentucky

lamkentucky A Little Sparkler... Site Staff

Leslee Moore
    Jürgen, iOrnament is one of the most fascinating apps of all time. I love it! I know the above was for Robert and Boris, but thank you for the tips!

Leslee
  9. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    Hi Jürgen!

Thank you for the great ideas and tips!

Great to have you here at MobiTog - please feel free to check into our Developer Chat forum as well. :thumbs:

:D

10. iColorama

iColorama SheColoramas... Developer

teresa
    :thumbs: iOrnament looks exciting, testing it today as soon as I come home! :thumbs:
    Jürgen, welcome to the best forum around with amazing creative people..feedback and ideas for your apps are guaranteed! :)
    Venomator, RoseCat and lisamjw like this.
  11. jrgb

jrgb New Member

Jürgen Richter-Gebert
    Thanks for the heartily welcome,

Just another tip if you are looking for really great abstract/math-oriented images. (This is not really mobile,
    but it is worth looking at it). There is an math artist Jos Leys from the netherlands who has really amazing images on the web.
    His homepage is
    http://www.josleys.com

I particularly like the images of kleinian groups (In a sense they are related to what you cna do with percolator, but more from a mathematical point of view)

http://www.josleys.com/galleries.php?catid=7

Ok, I admit this is neither interactive nor mobile, but still great to look at :)
    (you perhaps should also look in the artgaleries of the bridges conferences http://www.bridgesmathart.org
    there is plenty of inspiration there)

cu

Jürgen
    Carol and Venomator like this.
  12. Venomator

Venomator Green & Serpentine... Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Hello Jürgen and a warm welcome to THE Original iPhoneography Community that is MobiTog, it is great to have another Developer join our network of passionate iPhoneographers... ;)

The MobiCommunity has a lot of advice and suggestions to offer Developers who are prepared to listen and act on their Apps from a real world user perspective - it is a fantastic way to create something awesome for the greater good... :)

Please feel free to leap over to the Welcome Section to introduce yourself to the wider MobiCommunity, we would love to hear more about you and your work in the field of iPhoneography... :rog:

And don't forget to pass on the MobiLurve to all your iPhoneography fanatical friends, family, colleagues, Developers, Twits, FB Followers and Flickr Contacts as appropriate - the more the merrier... :D

From MiPad (3) via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D
    lisamjw and Carol like this.
  13. RoseCat

RoseCat Cat'sClockedIt... Site Staff

Catherine
    Chris, I love the second version! I think the first one was a bit flat, and running it through Tiny Planet added a lot of interest, IMO. I think also running it through some filter apps such as Pixlromatic, Iris or Snapseed could also add a bit more dimension to the piece. :thumbs: